2.8.0 Now Scanning plugins on start every time

Options
JesterMgee
JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,641 Expert
edited November 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

Something I have seen reported often and now I seem to have this issue also.

Starting KK is scanning my plugins now every time, takes 2-3 minutes every time launching standalone. This was not happening in the Beta but of course changes are made we were not able to test so now I have this painful delay every time I have to reboot KK which is often.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 254 Newcomer
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,863 mod
    edited November 2022
    Options

I'm not seeing this but there are always a couple of plugins that go through the scan (mainly Softube Tape which has a version that doesn't load in DAWS other than Studio One but always blocks up scans because of that)

I'm sure there used to be an option to disable scan on startup - or maybe I'm thinking of Kore 2? Would be useful anyway

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin
    Options

Is it hanging for a longer time on specific plugins?

• JesterMgee
    Options

No, it seems to hammer Waves plugins each time (of course its waves) but the only thing different from how I use to have it installed is now I have the license on a usb because I need to switch between computers. I have to do some more tests, just noted it’s started rescanning every time I start now and I bet it’s damn waves being a pain yet again.

• trusampler
    trusampler Member Posts: 76 Helper
    Options

I've always had the rescanning issue with both Maschine and Komplete Kontrol, and have always used Waves plugins. Perhaps that's been the scanning issue on my cpu's all these years, IDK.

Either way shouldn't NI play nice and stable with waves by now, waves has been around just as long as NI. One would think they would or could have built somewhat of a relationship by now.

Good luck, let us know what you find out.

• JesterMgee
    Options

Yeah seems it is related to Waveshell.

I just built a new system and have been installing software and plugins for weeks and testing as I go, Because Waves is one of the few that holds you to ransom just to use their plugins on another system I had to switch the ID to a USB one to carry between machines.

Seems because of this somehow it causes a full rescan of the Waves plugins every time thinking it's changed even if I do not remove the USB license at all between launches and that is like 500 plugins each time so it takes a while. If I disconnect the waves license USB it hits Waveshell then just skips over and loads within 4 seconds.

I'm on Waves 13 and seems strange. Even hitting ESC will cause a delay while it cancels of 30 odd seconds.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 254 Newcomer
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JesterMgee
    Options

I’ve never had the issue before on my win10 machine, need to double check it but on this Win11 machine it scans through the whole collection when the license is plugged in. Very strange.

• JesterMgee
    Options

So this is 100% related to the fact I have the Waves license on USB!

I'd love to just blame the fact it's Waves because, well, they have so many issues like this but this same issue does not happen in any other programs such as Ableton, Wavelab, Reaper etc.

It also causes the scanner to slow down on every other plugin too so currently takes over 2 minutes on every single launch but disconnect the license and takes just 8 seconds.

Would be nice to know what s going on here

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,965 mod
    Options

@JesterMgee I start to see other reports. We need to look into this. I have a few questions. The scan happens in Komplete Kontrol in standalone as well, every time the ILok USB stick is plugged in? Are you running Komplete Kontrol as admin? (i just have to make sure about that, sorry if this seems obvious)

• JesterMgee
    Options

So the USB dongle I have is not an ilok, Waves have an option for a license to be on a standard USB drive and when attached to a machine it authors it for use (like an ilok)

On my other machine (Win 10) I have never had this scanning issue before, for 6+ years it was fine but I have since built a new machine (AMD, Win 11) and because I have to move between them, I now have the license for Waves on USB instead of system bound to 1 machine.

When I start KK in standalone (not as "admin") without the USB attached it will scan quick (as you expect) unless I have installed a new plugin and then it ticks through aa little slower (again, as expected)

But any time I start KK with the USB license attached it seems to want to scan Waves plugins in full each time, even if I close after it starts then launch again immediately.

I will see if I can run some more tests and see if this is the same on my other system, if it does cause a delay when the USB is attached.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,965 mod
    Options

@JesterMgee Thanks for the extra details, I'll report to the Komplete Kontrol / Maschine team. Could you give a try with Komplete Kontrol running as admin? Any luck here?

• trusampler
    trusampler Member Posts: 76 Helper
    Options

I also use Waves with ilok, and I've noticed that if I don't run Komplete Kontrol in admin mode, it will take 15 minutes to start. Somethings not working correctly.

• JesterMgee
    Options

A few more observations now.

• It does not seem to make a difference if I launch in Admin mode or not
    • The issue does not appear to be Waves related at all but (in my case) it seems to be related to the LAST plugin added into KK by scan.

So for instance, Waves was the last bundle I had installed and I noticed this issue with longer scanning of all plugins. If I remove my USB license this of course kills this ability to open the Waveshell so bypasses this.

I have just installed Roland Cloud plugins and had to manually move their VST2 plugins into my custom folder and have noted now every time I open KK it seems to do a slow scan through these plugins now and Waves is unaffected at all by the scan. If this is the case I am about to install a swag of Korg plugins now so if it then pauses on these, it is whatever the last lot of plugins that were added is the issue

I will also add that Guitar Rig 6 is always being scanned and a side issue I have noted, the User Library keeps getting default folders created for plugins too. I keep deleting this Guitar Rig 6 folder in my user folder but it gets added back every time I start KK... I have never used Guitar Rig 6 ever and don't want these folders being created