Kontakt 7 - Reduced functionality in factory retro synths

DynaMaltee
DynaMaltee Member Posts: 11 Member

Hey all, big fan of NI products.

I noticed that the factory library "Retro Machines" are now accessible in Komplete Kontrol two ways:

Either by opening "Kontakt 7" or by opening "Retro Machines". You get the same sound list but the interface then is completely different. "Retro Machines" shows the cool skeumorphic vintage synth look and Kontakt 7 shows the instrument in the style of the "Play Series" - Big Picture with flat controls.

Now my issue with this. The new interface gives you less controls and functionality. For instance the 8 "sound variations" morph buttons are gone, but there where very interesting and useful variations. "Fat" is just a button now instead of a control in the old version, the arpeggiator is gone completely, the new drive/dirt xy-control could be the variations instead of just some minor changes on the same sound...

Don't I maybe see something? Why are there two interfaces for the same instruments? What's the idea behind this and what's your opinion? Curious of your posts...

Cheers

Comments

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,023 mod
    edited October 2022

Kontakt 7 factory library is a separate product from Retro Machines mkII, with different functionality. Some sampled content is shared but is laid out in a different way.

• DynaMaltee

Aah OK, thanks a lot for the clarification... thought they where the same due to the overlapping patch names.

Cheers

• htpcuser
    htpcuser Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Why can't Retro Machines MK2 work in Kontakt 7?

• DynaMaltee
    edited April 15

I should have written more precisely: There are overlapping patch names in "Kontakt 7 Factory Library" and "Retro Machines MK2". Both are available in "Kontakt 7".

If you compare, there are overlapping patches...

Also I like "Retro Machine MK2" interface more inspiring and useful... but maybe that's just me :D ... I know there's that issue with HiDPI scaling and interface size on WQHD or 4k displays for the older Bitmap-based GUIs...