Does Komplete Kontrol S88 will control MainStage?

FRieck
FRieck Member Posts: 4 Member
edited June 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

Hello!

I currently have an old (but still gold) MPK88 and have been using it for playing and producing mainly with Logic Pro X, FL Studio and MainStage (live performance). I recently bought Komplete Ultimate Collectors Edition and have been playing a lot with the Komplete Kontrol software. It seems to be an amazing way to have all instruments (even 3rd party ones!) in a great interface. And because that I have A LOT (!) of NI products, I was looking into buying the Komplete Kontrol S88, but I have some questions:

I know that KK S series can control almost everything in Logic Pro and it really helps you integrating everything in KK S interface. I also know that this integration is not that great with FL Studio but I saw some scripts (https://github.com/hobyst/flmidi-kompletekontrol) that seems to "fix" this. But I cannot see anything (and anyone!) showing how KK S will behave with MainStage...

Can I do MIDI mappings to control what I already have in MainStage using only KK S interface

Is it possible to change presets (MainSage presets) using KK S buttons? Can I control MainStage features by only using KK S interface?

Does anyone uses KK S with MainStage and want to share it here?

Thanks,

Felipe

Comments

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,637 mod

Hey @FRieck There is no host integration in Mainstage like for Logic, GarageBand, Ableton, Studio One or ProTools. I'm not aware of scripts for Mainstage, on top of that, from what I've seen in support from Mainstage users, the experience with the keyboard is not the best, even to control several Komplete Kontrol instances. Maybe some Mainstage users can chime in here and share their opinions & user experience.

• FRieck

My main concert is if I will be able to assign any button (best will be the presets up and down and arrows left and right!) in order to change between MainStage Patches and Sets without sacrificing all other features that KK S has (my plan is to use Komplete Kontrol software inside MainStage so I can use KK S features).

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,637 mod

Hey @FRieck You would need to put the keyboard in MIDI mode. Only the knobs and buttons above the screens are assignable in MIDI mode. You would then need to go out of MIDI mode to control the Komplete Kontrol track and click on Instance to navigate between several Komplete Kontrol instances. From what I've seen, it's not the most ideal user experience.

• FRieck
    edited July 2022

Any plans to improve this User Experience? MainStage is probably the best "live DAW" and I know lots of people that uses it!

So IF I buy a Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2 I will probably need to buy another piece of hardware because Komplete is not that truly complete... C'mon NI!!!

• Silva
    Silva Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Came here for the same reason - does anyone know if NI has made any progress in this - golden opportunity I would have thought

• Psalmster
    Psalmster Member Posts: 12 Member

I've used a KK S61 Mk2 for a few years with Mainstage with the Sunday Keys overlay.

It works great, albeit in MIDI mode. Think of it as a standard keyboard controller and you'll be happy. But recognize that you don't get the KK benefits (i.e. screens, lights, transport, etc).

The knobs and buttons can all be assigned, including multiple banks.

So, does it work: Yes, very well -- as a basic MIDI controller.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,727 mod
    edited October 2023

How does that work? Does it come with a S Series template?

• Psalmster
    Psalmster Member Posts: 12 Member

You use MIDI Mode.

You set the knobs and pads as desired via the MIDI assignments in the Komplete Kontrol Software (click the MIDI icon -- top right).

I also have used a nano-Kontroller for additional control, including advancing to the next song.