FM8 - will development continue?

Options
2»

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,713 mod
    Options

Hey @sastay As I mentioned earlier, FM8 and Absynth will be updated soon, to port them to the VST3 format and also to ensure compatibility with M1 processors, in Rosetta mode first, then native support. I still don't have an ETA regarding this.

• sastay
    sastay Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Lovely, that’s great news!!! Even though I haven’t got the faintest idea what an “ETA” is, but I fully trust you. Best regards

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,713 mod
    Options

Oh sorry! ETA means estimate time of arrival! That ususually means it's not coming that soon, but it's definitely happening.

• sastay
    sastay Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

That’s ok, as a workaround, I am running FM8 on my old Mac and triggering it via MIDI. Just want to make sure I can use it some day on my M1

• 604way
    604way Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Registered and came here to post support for FM8 and Absynth. Great instruments well worthy of updates if not upgrades to make them appealing to the new generation.

• zzz00m
    zzz00m Member Posts: 15 Member
    edited May 2022
    Options

There is a concert video of Tangerine Dream using FM7 and Absynth live on stage in 2007. Vintage NI soft synths in action! Very cool!

Search for: "Tangerine Dream - One Night In Space: Live at the Alte Oper Frankfurt (2007)".

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,741 mod
    Options

Korg OPSix is what FM8 could have been with further development

• zenluiz
    zenluiz Member Posts: 11 Member
    Options

I was about to buy FM8 and Absynth today, but I wondered whether they are (or will soon be) M1 ready. And here I am :)

Please guys, put some attention to this lovely synth (FM8)!!

• SaschaFranck
    SaschaFranck Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options
  • Tony Jones
    Tony Jones Member Posts: 261 Pro
    Options

And an interesting use of the word ‘soon’, given it’s now August

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert
    Options

Soon in IT may mean many months. AS and VST3 for most/all NI SW might come in 6-11 weeks. My guess is it will come in Komplete 14.

• fcarosone
    fcarosone Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Cubase 12, the current version of Steinberg's DAW, has dropped VST2 support.

The VST2->3 delay of update for FM8 and Absynth5 is a nightmare for existing users of these beautiful synths that still have features that face the competition proudly nowadays.

The news that the (late) update will be only to cope for new standards and processors, means that NI is thinking (little) only at existing users, and does not conceive new purchases of these synths todays (2022).

In my point of view, this is an error.

• chk071
    chk071 Member Posts: 361 Pro
    Options

"Cubase 12, the current version of Steinberg's DAW, has dropped VST2 support."

On Mac OS, yes. On Windows, no.

• J Tracks
    J Tracks Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I think the foundation of alot of this code is so old with probably the original designers probably no longer with the company is probably giving NI alot of trouble.

They don't seem to be having many issues porting the new programs over but alot of the older stuff seems to be giving them trouble.