Lores midi not playing back.

Scott Davis
Scott Davis Member Posts: 7 Member
edited June 2022 in Kontakt

When I try to run multiple tracks of Lores patches on KontaKt 6 player in Logic Pro/Monterey, only one track will play back. All the other tracks aren't muted, I can see activity pumping on each channel meter, but can't hear them?? Im a newbie to Kontakt????? Is it a KontaKt thing or Lores???

thanks

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,298 mod
    Answer ✓

@Scott Davis This is probably due to the way Kontakt works. From what I understand you are creating one instance of Kontakt with multiple libraries. Every time you load a new instrument it automatically assigns a different MIDI channel:

If you don't set the correct MIDI channel in your DAW, it won't play the notes.

If you wish to set a multitimbral instrument of Kontakt in Logic, here is how to:

Using KONTAKT as a Multi-timbral Instrument in Logic Pro X

You might want to do this as well:

How to Route KONTAKT to Multiple Outputs in Logic Pro X

Or you could open a new Kontakt tack for every Lores instance you want to use, it might be the simplest way.

• Scott Davis
    Answer ✓

Thanks for all your replies, I'm getting on well with multiple Lores Tracks on the Kontakt vers 7 player OK. However still having trouble with navigating to all the voice patches or all the violin patches etc. instead of having to comb through hundreds of three instrument presets. When I compose a track, I dont just press a a preset and rely on' luck' to come up with a sound/instrument.... so maybe I need to find a tutorial.... that works. This is not the way i have ever used plugins.....ie composition by chance??? Its not real... any one got a solution/suggestion? Thanks in anticipation, have i missed a basic skill here???

Answers

• Scott Davis

Lores manual is an absolute mystery to me. I have been recording since 1970s and have used just about every O/S and plugin known to man. I am totally confused by NI Lores. It's not the way we work and the Help Manual is useless. If any one has some knowledge or can point me to a tutorial that is more than just marketing/ sales rubbish please let me know. I've had it and think I have wasted $300

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,523 admin

@Jeremy_NI Have you heard of this issue with LORES before?

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,298 mod
    Answer ✓

@Scott Davis This is probably due to the way Kontakt works. From what I understand you are creating one instance of Kontakt with multiple libraries. Every time you load a new instrument it automatically assigns a different MIDI channel:

If you don't set the correct MIDI channel in your DAW, it won't play the notes.

If you wish to set a multitimbral instrument of Kontakt in Logic, here is how to:

Using KONTAKT as a Multi-timbral Instrument in Logic Pro X

You might want to do this as well:

How to Route KONTAKT to Multiple Outputs in Logic Pro X

Or you could open a new Kontakt tack for every Lores instance you want to use, it might be the simplest way.

• Plutogenie
    Plutogenie Member Posts: 3 Member

Hi @Scott Davis , @Jeremy_NI and @Kaiwan_NI

I concur with Scott that the Lores manual is useless. I have mostly had to rely on forums like this to work out how to use even basic features in Lores!

I am using Cakewalk and Lores, and was trying to achieve the same thing as Scott with a single instance of Kontakt with multiple instruments. I will list the steps I used in Cakewalk, which are roughly equivalent to each step in Jeremy's first link specific to Logic Pro X. Note, these steps apply regardless of which libraries and instruments are loaded into one Kontakt instance (not just Lores).

1. I created a simple instrument track by dragging in a single Kontakt instance. In Cakewalk, a simple instrument track combines a MIDI track + audio track into a single track, rather than requiring the creation of separate MIDI tracks linked to corresponding audio tracks.
    2. I opened this track, dragged in a Lores instrument and set up an Alto Flute with a single Staccato Burst layer to create a solo instrument (other two instruments muted). I set the ModWheel to maximum. Similar to Jeremy's screen shot, the Flute is automatically assigned to MIDI Ch 1 and stereo output 1. Note, you need to click the "i" button to see these, as implied in Jeremy's figure.
    3. I dragged in a second Lores instrument and set up a Violin with a single Shorts layer, similar to Step 2, which Kontakt automatically assigns to MIDI Ch 2 and stereo output 1.
    4. In Kontakt I clicked the tile next to settings cog, and selected the Outputs option so that I can then see the audio channels. Note: because both instruments are directed to stereo output 1, only the first instrument (Flute in my case) will play.
    5. With the Outputs dialog I clicked the "Presets / Batch Config..." button, selected "Batch functions" and then the first option "Clear output section...". This replaces the stereo output 1 with an output for each instrument, and automatically labels them according to the library. I edited the labels to "AltoFlute" and "Violin" respectively, and you should see that "Output" for each instrument in the Lores interface will now reflect each having its own dedicated output. But I still only heard one instrument playing (again, Flute in my case).
    6. In Cakewalk (close the Kontakt dialog) I selected the "Tracks..." menu option (just above the simple instrument track from Step 1), selected "Append Instrument Track" and answered "Yes" in the dialog. This automatically changes the channel setting of the MIDI track (see under the MIDI tab of Inspector) to Kontakt 1, adds another simple instrument track assigned to channel "Kontakt 2", and automatically labels the new track as per the next instrument (in my case Violin). If I had created 3 or more Lores instruments in Kontakt, I would repeat this step for each instrument.

After doing this I found that, just using Cakewalk and with the Kontakt interface closed, if I put the cursor onto the Flute or Violin simple instrument track to make it active, each instrument plays separately. I can now easily move between each instrument and play it on my MIDI keyboard controller.

One quirk with Kontakt, and Cakewalk at least, is trying to use the Kontakt interface to adjust, for instance, the Violin's options (e.g. reverb) in Lores and to watch the keys of Kontakt's virtual keyboard mirror my playing of that Violin. To achieve this I needed to ensure:

• The Violin track is selected in the DAW.
    • The corresponding Violin instrument is selected in the Kontakt interface by clicking between the wrench and the Lores instrument details (see Jeremy's figure), after which Kontakt puts an orange box around that instrument.

If I didn't ensure the instrument selected in the DAW matched the selection in Kontakt, I found for e.g. that if I left the Kontakt interface at the default instrument (in my case, Flute), then the virtual keyboard relates to the default instrument (Flute) rather than the DAW track (Violin). That is, I heard the Violin, but the virtual keyboard shows no activity.

I hope this will help others who are struggling with getting Lores to work like other libraries.

Plutogenie

• Scott Davis
    Answer ✓

Thanks for all your replies, I'm getting on well with multiple Lores Tracks on the Kontakt vers 7 player OK. However still having trouble with navigating to all the voice patches or all the violin patches etc. instead of having to comb through hundreds of three instrument presets. When I compose a track, I dont just press a a preset and rely on' luck' to come up with a sound/instrument.... so maybe I need to find a tutorial.... that works. This is not the way i have ever used plugins.....ie composition by chance??? Its not real... any one got a solution/suggestion? Thanks in anticipation, have i missed a basic skill here???