Program change using different midi channel

Options
Dave Bringhurst
Dave Bringhurst Member Posts: 4 Newcomer
edited April 23 in Kontakt

I'm using Session Horns for live performance in Kontakt Player 7. My midi controller is a Nord Electro 5.

The Nord has one manual with split keyboard. Program change messages can only come from the same channel as the lower split, and the upper split can use a different channel if I choose. Because I want to play horns with my right hand, I only want my Session Horns to play on certain programs, on upper split only.

I see that I can put my Horns into an instrument bank so that only desired programs will use them, that's good. However, because the program change midi messages are coming from one channel (Nord global midi), and the key up/down messages are coming from a different channel (Nord upper split), I haven't found a way in Kontakt Player to both change bank instruments and play those instruments.

My program change messages are set to channel 1. My key up/down and control changes are set to channel 2.

Is there a way to configure Kontakt player so it will set the bank channel using channel 1, and play notes using channel 2?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,235 mod
    Options

If you set the MIDI channel for Session Horns to omni won't that do what you want as it's listening on all MIDI channels? Or do you have other instruments loaded as well as horns so you need to assign specific MIDI channels to each one?

• Dave Bringhurst
    Options

Right, I'll be playing the left split at the same time with a piano or organ sound, don't want those notes to add brass.

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,235 mod
    Options

Ah got it! Not sure if you can do that, I'll have a play around on my rig later and see if I can make it work. I'm guessing you're using USB MIDI rather than 5-pin going into a MIDI interface?

• stephen24
    stephen24 Member Posts: 288 Pro
    Options

Not sure this is what you want, but this simple multiscript will convert Programme Changes on all channels to channel 2.

on midi_in
     if ($MIDI_COMMAND = $MIDI_COMMAND_PROGRAM_CHANGE)
     set_event_par($EVENT_ID, $EVENT_PAR_MIDI_CHANNEL, 1)
     end if
    end on

Click KSP, top R of Kontakt window, >Edit, paste the code and click Apply (orange light should go out.)

Number at the end of line 3 is one less than the channel number to be output.

• Dave Bringhurst
    Options

@mykejb, it is USB MIDI.

@stephen24, looking forward to trying that script tonight, thank you. I haven't seen the scripting feature in Kontakt player yet, I hope it's not a feature limited to full Kontakt. That's an elegant solution either way.

• Dave Bringhurst
    Answer ✓
    Options

works like a charm, @stephen24! Many thanks!