Kontrol S Mk3 Series with Maschine Built In

Options
Jazzyswan
Jazzyswan Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

I've mentioned this over the years, not sure why it's never happened, but like Akai & all these other controller keyboards, they all have drum pads built in. Especially Akai with their MPC Pads built into their Keyboards. I believe that the day NI Builds Kontrol Keyboards with the Maschine built into them, they will put all their competitors out of business.

I'm sure its a very challenging thing to do bc of the durability issues, and being susceptible to breaking, and the hassle of trying to repair that, but maybe you guys can find a way to make them durable....... what an awesome piece of gear that would be to own.

Maybe just make one for the home studio that isn't meant to be taking all over the place, just sayin.

Comments

• mickeyl
    mickeyl Member Posts: 58 Helper
    Options

Same here. I've been advocating that there's a market for a MASCHINE Studio + KONTROL hybrid for decades…

• blitze
    blitze Member Posts: 15 Member
    Options

Always the Machine Micro - seems there is enough space on the new Mk3 KK's to sit em. 😁

• Mark Oxley
    Mark Oxley Member Posts: 158 Advisor
    Options

That would be great if the Kontrol MK3 keyboards actually integrated with Maschine.

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,610 admin
    Options

Thanks for the post @Jazzyswan

I'm not entirely sure if that's the direction we're leaning towards, unfortunately. Here's what our product team had to say about the possibility of a Kontrol + Maschine hybrid in the latest AMA, for example:

So, it's less about durability issues and more about a focus we've chosen to emphasize.

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 903 mod
    Options

There is a market. I think the question is more... how big?

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 3,139 mod
    edited April 16
    Options

Yeah ! , and if you go down that route then you have to have it on all sizes of keyboards to avoid the perpetual why is it not on model XYZ ? (I mean , you could make one model with pads to satisfy demand , but you will never hear the end of why not on other models)

But actually , whenever I see these discussions then what mostly comes into my mind is that Native Instruments to me appear to have a sort of 'minimalist' approach to design , where the idea generally is to keep it relatively simple and easy to get an overview over !? But maybe that is just me ? But I don't think that pads and and what not is going very well with a more 'minimalist' approach to design !?

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 431 Guru
    Options

Elegant minimalistic controller allows for better focus while producing, IMHO.

• blitze
    blitze Member Posts: 15 Member
    Options

I sort of think I went the wrong way around with my NI purchases. Maybe would have been netter served with a Komplete Kontrol 61 and a Maschine Micro instead I went with a Maschine Mk3 and a M32.

Mainly using Reaper as my DAW but want to invest in live looping and song writing with a combo of mic'd inputs (Voice / Guitar) and midi.

Mainly use NI for Kontakt Instruments with Ultimate. Current KK 3.0+ is not great with either the m32 or Reaper which freezes - down graded to KK 2.9

• Richard Vetro
    Richard Vetro Member Posts: 15 Member
    Options

It will never happen.

NI can pull $1000 per device out your pocket.

Why would they voluntarily want to lose half a paycheck.

In not saying the it wouldn't be great. But I Don't it happening from a business perspective.

• Mark Oxley
    Options

Following sales figures of the Akai MPC 61 should give you a general idea.

• Matthew_NI
    Options

It was more of a rhetorical question. We definitely keep tabs on the market - and as of now have no plans to build a Kontrol S MK3 with Maschine built in

• Mark Oxley
    Options

Pretty obvious that a MK3 with Maschine built in wouldn't be on the cards as it's already been launched. Maybe in a few years time with a S series MK4. That's if maschine still exists by then.

Having all the features of something like maschine + or MK3 built into a keyboard like the Kontrol MK3 priced similarly to the Akai MPC 61 would, I think, be a very popular choice for a lot of people.

• Matthew_NI
    Options
  • PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 3,139 mod
    Options

One AKAI Professional MPC Key 61 = 1.313 €

One Kontrol S61 MK3 = 763 € plus one Maschine MK3 Black = 551 € , total around = 1314 €

I don't doubt that a Kontrol S61 MKX with Pads built-in, as Matthew_NI put it , "would be a popular choice for some people", but for more reasons I don't see it ever going to happen !

• R_E_D
    R_E_D Member Posts: 33 Helper
    Options

A little bit smaller for NI every time this is openly questioned, which is probably intentional. And in a way I am thankful for that, as it provides enough clarity for the future so we can all, eventually, move on.

Still, it is only natural for people whom invested massively and built their workflow around this ecosystem to be disappointed, as it was a very promising and (still) very powerful platform, especially with its somewhat unique ability to use very high quality VST instruments, in what felt like a standalone solution. Probably the NI 'market' is what it is due to how poorly this was communicated to KK users, whom otherwise would consider Maschine to simply be some drum machine they have no use for, instead of what it actually is: a quite capable Digital Audio Workstation, that would allow them to record, edit and mix entire performances right from the keyboard.

I still hope this will be revisited at some point, as I find the workflow to be quite good. But there are considerably more offerings out there today and I think we, as musicians, have never been in a better position in terms of options. I am just slowly running out of space :)