[REQUEST] Improve batch import and add drag-and-drop for better preset sharing

Options
TORLEY
TORLEY Member Posts: 88 Helper
edited April 3 in Guitar Rig & FX

I appreciate @Milos sharing presets here, and it reminds me I find it frustrating to the extra steps involved in importing multiple presets. This makes it a lot slower and discourages exploration.

In order:

(1) File menu > Import can still only import one preset at a time. Can the feature please be modernized to allow for Shift-select to bring in presets en masse?

(2) Another thing that's a user interface standard and would be GREAT is simply being able to drag-and-drop .ngrr presets onto the Guitar Rig window to show the green (+) (at least on Mac) and bring those all in. That's what my intuition guided me to do, because I've become so used to it. But that doesn't look like it's working, either.

(3) It looks like the way to import a folder at present is to place that folder inside the User (or Factory) folders, then use the Preferences' "Scan for New Presets" option. However, there are some oddities with that:

1. Scanning subfolders does not show any folder structure or similar metadata in the browser, they get imported "flat" in alphabetical order in the filtered User area. This can be useful at times (to avoid digging through many nested folders) but it can also result in things looking cluttered unless you do a workaround like use a common prefix for your presets (I use "[TOR]"). This feels inconsistent in a sense, since in other places like showing Convolution IRs, folder structure is respected.
  2. Removing the presets and then rescanning does NOT clean them up… until you completely restart Guitar Rig (i.e., quit and launch your DAW again). It'd be more useful to show changes without needing to take more disruptive steps.

Thank you for considering.

Comments

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 1,958 Guru
    edited April 3
    Options

Oh, Torley!

Hello!

Wassup?

Btw, yeah, it also bugs me too.

If I can insert multiple instruments into a single Kontakt Track, then it should be possible to not only insert multiple effects, but multiple presets to combine them into a giga preset or something.

I agree on you with that!

Btw, Eddie is not really the leader of the GR anymore, he is being replaced by someone else…

• Milos
    Options

Also, I wanted to ask you what you think about the quality of the fx racks I made.

You can share any criticism and I will improve it as far as I can! :)

• TORLEY
    TORLEY Member Posts: 88 Helper
    edited March 31
    Options

Thanks for the update, @Eddie_NI — I wanted to thank you again for all your magnificent community bridging and advocacy here. You and the team have truly made a positive difference, and if I can expound on that testimonial, let me know. Who will be succeeding you in this role so we know who to welcome?

Also @Milos I didn't have any other comments about your racks, I enjoy using them and am glad you shared your creativity, as it's a cool theme to focus on. In general I'd suggest finding more ways to make FX interactively playable via macros, input triggers, etc. can take the theme further. What you've done also makes me think being able to import sound files for the Noise Machine module would extend the "sound effects" possibilities too!

• Milos
    Options

I'm flattered, Torley! :)

Perhaps I should experiment on some new effects but I will start using Containers and maybe Macros as well!

And I agree that importing any sound as a module for Noose machine would be a cool feature!

You can expect some new fx racks in a month, since I am a bit busy right now (experimenting with new ways to mix, practicing piano etc).

Have a nice day, good sir! :D

• Eddie_NI
    Eddie_NI Product Team Posts: 357 mod
    Options

Hi,

I agree, the preset import is definitely an area in Guitar Rig that needs improvement. Thank you for all your suggestions, I have brought them to the team for discussion and evaluation.