S88 for live with different MIDI channels

Options
cug
cug Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

I've read previous posts and don't see a clear answer to this question. I see in the S88 mk3 manual, in MIDI mode, "The keys send MIDI Note messages and MIDI Key Pressure messages (polyphonic aftertouch) on MIDI channel 1."

This would be a replacement of my main controller (PC88) to use live with Apple MainStage. I need to be able to change the transmitted MIDI channel quickly between songs. Can I use the 8 buttons above the screen to select the transmit channel? I need all pedals and wheels to follow the MIDI channel of the keyboard. (Or maybe have one extra switch pedal that is always on it's own channel.)

I've read here that I can use the KK app to create templates with different MIDI channels but it's not clear if I need to interact with the app directly to switch channels or if I can do it from the face of the S88 after it is setup. I don't want to have to switch to another app while MainStage is running and I can't go diving into menu pages to scroll through the MIDI channel selection. In my live shows, I sometimes have less than a second to change instrument sounds.

Thanks

Tagged:

Best Answer

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,307 Expert
    Answer ✓
    Options

Midi channel switching from the keyboard should (and I underline SHOULD) be coming in future. At the moment it is not possible.

There are anyway other methods to have the keyboard playing different instruments depending on what you need, through softwares on the computer. Even if the keyboard is always sending on the same midi channel, the software can allow to change the instrument played by that midi channel

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    Answer ✓
    Options

Midi channel switching from the keyboard should (and I underline SHOULD) be coming in future. At the moment it is not possible.

There are anyway other methods to have the keyboard playing different instruments depending on what you need, through softwares on the computer. Even if the keyboard is always sending on the same midi channel, the software can allow to change the instrument played by that midi channel

• cug
    cug Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Thanks, apparently the S88 is not as versatile as I need for live performance. It seems quite functional as a studio keyboard. I will have to keep looking.

• LostInFoundation
    Options

You’re welcome.

Although I’m not a big fan of the direction chosen lately by NI, I wouldn’t say S88 is more focused on Studio vs Live…

I would put the spotlight more on the “has it been released too soon and not ready?” aspect…