Kontakt 7.8.1 in Digital Performer and other DAWs crashes Mac after Sonoma 14.4 update

Options

Answers

• efiebke
    efiebke Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Hi Jeremy -

As per your request, I am posting a PDF file of the Crash Report. I hope that this helps in problem-solving this unfortunately situation. Just click on the link. . .

Ted (efiebke)

• efiebke
    Options

And update. . .
    Kontakt 7.9 in Digital Performer still crashes M2 Mac with Sonoma 14.4.1.

• ivicam
    ivicam Member Posts: 55 Member
    Options

@Jeremy_NI

I am experiencing the same kernel panic and crash in Ableton Live 12 and Logic Pro on Sonoma 14.4.1 (M3 Max processor). This happens not only with Kontakt, but also with Komplete Kontrol and Guitar Rig. To reproduce it, you can load Kontakt, Komplete Kontrol or Guitar Rig VST3 in Ableton Live or their AU versions in Logic and activate Mission Control by swiping up with three fingers on the trackpad.

A few important remarks:

• It doesn't crash in Reaper for whichever reason
    • Report @efiebke attached contains this text in the first line: DCPEXT1 PANIC - program_swap: Async Swap request landing on unsupported platform. DCPEXT1 means that he had an external display attached during the crash. But the external display is not the cause. The crash also happens on MacBook Pro with no external display attached. In that case, the report will contain DCP0 PANIC instead of DCPEXT1.
    • The report references RTKit as the source of the crash. Sonoma 14.4 security content document contains the following:

RTKit
    • Available for: macOS Sonoma
    • Impact: An attacker with arbitrary kernel read and write capability may be able to bypass kernel memory protections. Apple is aware of a report that this issue may have been exploited.
    • Description: A memory corruption issue was addressed with improved validation.
    • CVE-2024-23296

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT214084

This is very likely the root cause of this bug. I am suspecting that Kontakt, Komplete Kontrol and Guitar Rig (seemingly somewhere in the window handling code) write into the memory in a way that was possible before 14.4, but Apple now prohibits that kind of writing as it's a security risk.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,860 mod
    edited April 3
    Options

@ivicam We'd really like to repro. I'm sorry, it's getting a bit confusing with several threads about the same issue or the same kind of issue and I'm loosing some info. What kind of monitor/screen are you using?

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@efiebke Sorry if I asked before but what kind of monitor are you using?

• MHalloran
    MHalloran Member Posts: 19 Member
    edited April 4
    Options

The type of monitor does not seem to be an issue. I use the 27" Apple Studio Display connected via TB 3/4 (the only connection it allows) and a pair of 27" LG 4K monitors—one connected to my HDMI port and the other to a TB3/4 port via a USB-C to HDMI 2.0 cable.

It does not matter which monitor I make the Main and which I make the sides. I can duplicate the problem where in Logic Kontakt 7.9.0 works on the Main display and crashes if I move it to either of the sides. I have not run all seven possible combinations (the Studio Display does not have an HDMI input) but I am satisfied that I have tested it enough.

There are some quirks in the way that the M2 handles side monitors* but this Kontakt issue is the only one that gets in the way of my workflow.

*1) the M2 does not like USB-C to DisplayPort connections—I had to show this to Apple before anyone believed me (my LGs take either so a simple cable swap fixed this) 2) sometimes on waking, open windows and/or desktop icons switch sides — it's rarely both—a reboot corrects this.

My main DAW is Digital Performer 11.31. The only way that Kontakt 7.9 does not crash is if I run DP over Rosetta2 — where it runs extremely slow. Fortunately, most of my libraries also run in Kontakt 6 which does not have this problem.

I am running an M2 Studio Ultra 192GB RAM 8TB System drive and my NI libraries (Komplete Ultimate 14 Collector's Edition) are onboard in the default location. The macOS 14.4.1 update solved a few issues for me but not this one.

• efiebke
    Options

I have two 27" Studio Displays by Apple. If I disconnect either one of them, Kontakt 7.9 still crashes DP 11.31 (with macOS 14.4.1). I really, really, really wish that I did not update the freakin' macOS. Like others, my "work-around" is a choice of either: 1) using DP11.31 via Rosetta 2; 2) using Kontakt 6; or 3) using Kontakt 7.9 "housed" by VSL's VEPro. For my recent sequencing project, I opted to use Kontakt 6.

Gratefully, my main templet is a somewhat large (for me) configuration of VIs "housed" by VEPro and sequenced using DP. I created this templet 2 years ago and it still works. . . even after various updates.

Hope this information is helpful. . .

• Soundgood
    Soundgood Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

I'm also experiencing the Kontakt 7 crash in Digital Performer 11.31 and Logic after going to Mac OS 14.4 and 14.4.1

I've tried it with one and two monitors and it still crashes.

Works fine in standalone mode.

Looking forward to a solution.

• Jeremy_NI
    edited April 5
    Options

@Soundgood To be sure we're dealing with the same issue here, as we're investigating. By crash do you mean Kontakt or DP crash or a crash of the whole computer? Also what models are your monitors?

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@efiebke Can I also ask this clarification from you? Is it a DAW crash or a full computer crash/Kernel Panic?

• efiebke
    Options
  • Lars Wilson
    Lars Wilson Member Posts: 4 Newcomer
    Options

I just want to let you know that DP 11.31. works with OS Sonoma 14.4.1 when I use DP and Kontakt 7.9.0 with Rosetta

• MHalloran
    MHalloran Member Posts: 19 Member
    Options

Likewise, for me it's a full computer crash/Kernel Panic. This is always followed by an automatic reboot that opens Digital Performer or Logic but not Kontakt.

Sometimes, this crash happens immediately after opening K 7.9 or dragging to another display. Other times, it can take a minute or three. First the cursor freezes—a few seconds later the Mac crashes and reboots.

• FranckD
    FranckD Member Posts: 6 Newcomer
    Options

Hi, I experienced the same kernel panic crash after updating to Sonoma 14.4 and reported the issue to Native Instrument support. They answered me telling it is a nasty bug and their developers did not yet find the source (as of 6 April 2024). I can reproduce 100% the crash : it seems to be linked to the display of the Kontakt Interface on some screen such as the Apple Pro XDR screen. Resizing the Kontakt interface on my apple XDR screen immediately lead to a fatal crash. The way I found to avoid this crash to occur is to make sure that no Kontakt instance is displayed and that all are minimized. To edit my instrument, I open the Kontakt interfaces on a secondary monitor that support Kontakt (I cannot tell which one but I have small portable 4K and it works fine). So no instance with interface visible.