Feedback Komplete Kontrol 3.2.X

Options
B.Minor
B.Minor Member Posts: 178 Advisor

Unfortunately there seem to be a couple of bugs in the new KK 3.2.0 release instead of expected improvements.

At first, the internal link between the KK3.2.0 browser window and the related plugin window toggle mechanism seems to be totally broken now. Whenever a specific NKS library preset has been selected via an NI S-series MK2 keyboard while using the previous KK3.1.2 version, the NKS library view on the PC still changed to the related plugin view automatically (as long as the pin icon was not checked in the KK menu bar). Now, in the new KK3.2.0 version, regardless of that pin icon status, the plugin view will never show up automatically when selecting any preset via an MK2 keyboard. Why is that well-established functionality now broken at all? Why is the screen not following what a user is actually doing on the NI keyboard? It really seems that NI wants to make MK2 user's lives harder, or new product versions are not tested properly before releasing those. Instead of improving the KK3 app step by step (and to gain back great potential that has been lost in the meantime), KK is even losing more and more essential functionality that was already working before reliably. What a regression!

However, after switching over to the plugin window manually (at the KK application itself), in the new KK3.2.0 version the plugin view seems to be buggy as well. Some plugins, especially when based on UVI/Falcon 3.0 libraries, are not completely visible and appear to be messed up in KK3.2.0. Instead of showing the actual plugin information right under the KK plugin top menu, a big useless space/gap is now appearing. The plugin itself is shifted down to the lower half of the screen and is finally cut off at the screen bottom.

Due to the inability of KK to resize or to move anything within the KK3.2.0 plugin window/view, there's subsequentially no way to make related plugin controls visible (or to make use of such a plugin as it was originally intended by the vendor). NI really gave all of us the impression that HiDPI settings for Windows have already been implemented properly since KK3 was launched; but obviously that information was not correct. Sorry, but this is really a mess!

@Matthew_NI :

Can you please check and fix those errors? Thanks.

Btw., I just saw in the KK3.2.0 release notes that NI has obviously "fixed" some HiDPI issues since the previous KK version. Well, maybe exactly this circumstance has caused the new display issues which I just reported above. I'm also very sad about the fact that there's currently no single sign from NI, proving that you'll keep your promise to bring back most of the abandoned KK2 functionalities. I'm really loosing my hope.

Comments

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 611 Pro
    Options

I would love to help you test this at my end, but I don't have UVI/Falcon.

Got another one that this phenomenon can be reproduced on?

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 864 mod
    Options

Team started looking at this today

• BIF
    Options

Okay and thanks @Matthew_NI. Hopefully the team finds and smashes this bug fast!

• BIF
    Options

Oh, and I should say that I am heartened. This new KK 3.2.0 includes 4 fixes along with 3 added items.

Without overanalyzing each individual item and its place in human history, I will say that SEVEN THINGS in an update is a lot more like the pace I wanted to see...and it's much more effective than onsie-twosie'ing our way through the current long list. We have an "overhanging backlog" (which is worse than "just a backlog"). Taking on 5, 7, or more things at a time is going to help us work through that backlog faster; as long as we also maintain a frequency of release that keeps things moving.

My compliments to the team.

• Matthew_NI
    Options

Take a look at the release notes since October 1st. Also, do that again by the end of Q2.

We've been busy!

But let's talk about development practices. Some of those releases with only 1 or 2 fixes were what is called a hot fix release where we deemed it more valuable to ship the fix than hold it back for a larger release of our ongoing work.

• BIF
    Options

Some of those releases with only 1 or 2 fixes were what is called a hot fix release where we deemed it more valuable to ship the fix than hold it back for a larger release of our ongoing work.

I get you, @Matthew_NI.

But I also recognize the importance of regularly putting points on the scoreboard. It's important to team morale and momentum in the game too, and getting a touchdown AND extra point once in awhile will definitely have a more positive impact than just scoring field goals all day. This latest update is a little bit like having a touchdown and extra point...after a few field goals. That's even better yet!

Both are important: Touchdowns AND field goals. Let's keep doing both, coach!

Okay, no more sports analogies from me for the rest of March, I promise.

• Matthew_NI
    Options

FWIW, the two above issues are filed also. For reference if there's any others who read this and/or reach out to me or support.

• B.Minor
    edited March 26
    Options

@Matthew_NI :

It seems that both issues which I reported last time (for KK3.2.0) still haven't been addressed in the new KK3.2.1 version which was released recently.

• On an MK2 keyboard, KK's plugin view is still not fired up automatically whenever a particular NKS preset is selected via the keyboard's 4D knob (or the "load" button), even though the PC screen display has correctly followed the current cursor position and the selected preset was also highlighted there. Strangely, when clicking with the PC mouse at the same preset (or pressing "Enter" on the PC keyboard), the related plugin view will always appear. In other words, the sync between the MK2 keyboard and the KK3.2.1 application is still broken (and yes, this behavior is independent from the current pin icon status). Remark: If you switch between the factory and the user library view on an MK2 (by using the "user" softbutton), the PC screen will correctly change the library view accordingly and reflect that status correctly. So, it's not clear why a similar feature that worked before, namely to automatically switch over to plugin mode, is now the broken. It's only a matter of switching from library to plugin view via MK2 controls, not more or less. Currently that feature fails every time.
    • Even after having fired up the plugin view manually, whenever loading any NKS user preset from vendor UVI Falcon, KK's Windows HiDPI mechanism still doesn't work correctly, as the GUI of the plugin is not fully displayed on the PC screen (independently from the current Windows scaling factor). In fact, the same broken screen appears as already reported and attached as screenshot last time. The (almost) good news is that this phenomenon only seems to happen when using UVI Falcon plugins (but then it happens every time).

Please finally also look into these problems as well; I cannot explain it more detailed than what I already did. Thanks in advance.

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 985 Guru
    edited March 26
    Options

@B.Minor

"On an MK2 keyboard, KK's plugin view is still not fired up automatically whenever a particular NKS preset is selected via the keyboard's 4D knob (or the "load" button), even though the PC screen display has correctly followed the current cursor position and the selected preset was also highlighted there. Strangely, when clicking with the PC mouse at the same preset (or pressing "Enter" on the PC keyboard), the related plugin view will always appear. In other words, the sync between the MK2 keyboard and the KK3.2.1 application is still broken (and yes, this behavior is independent from the current pin icon status).

Thanks for this update.

As a MKII user (who has never installed KKv3) - I appreciate this type of intel from the field.

VP

• B.Minor
    Options

No problem. For me it's very easy to install a new KK3 version, check it out for a few minutes and then switch back immediately to my reliable KK2.9.6 in case it's still not worth working with it. For that purpose I'm using a script where I only have to press two buttons in order to toggle back and forth 😎.

• Vocalpoint
    Options

"For that purpose I'm using a script where I only have to press two buttons in order to toggle back and forth 😎."

Hmm. Interesting. Any chance of sharing this?

I do a lot of scripting but never thought about this.

VP

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,617 Expert
    Options

Yeah, one step forward......

Still the issue where many libraries (user libraries) still do not show sub banks in the browser according to reports I get from users.

• B.Minor
    Options

Please take a look here:

Once you have managed to backup a few KK2.9.6 files (and those of the last KK3.x release) in separate folders of your choice, you're ready to go. The script (a simple DOS batch file) needs to be adapted accordingly, depending on your personal setup.

• Vocalpoint
    Options

Thanks. Will dig into this.

VP