KK broke after Windows update and old plugins installation

Options
Steve Matzura
Steve Matzura Member Posts: 1 Member
edited March 5 in Komplete Kontrol

I updated my Windows 11 installation recently, and immediately afterward I installed an old set up plugins from Air Music Technology. When I re-scanned with Komplete Kontrol, the re-scan hung and had to be forcibly terminated after I let it run for a good fifteen minutes with just a spinning circle on the screen and no indication it was doing anything, and that's when all the trouble started.

1. A new folder, "Browser Data," appeared in the AppData\Local\Native Instruments\Komplete Kontrol directory with a copy of everything in the parent directory all dated with the current date (at the time).
  2. 2. The copy of Komplete.DB3 in the AppData\Local\Native Instruments\Komplete Kontrol directory did not get updated.
  3. 3. The keyboard browser took another fifteen minutes to re-load, and when it did, several of the things I'd recently added don't come up in the Komplete Kontrol plugin via NKS presets. However, they seem to load OK in the Kontakt plugin.
  4. 4. If I look at Appdata\Local\Temp\Komplete Kontrol.log, I get the following err sequence over and over:

[ERROR] read_file_to_byte_array failed: cannot open 

[ERROR] asset_registry::add_file_asset - cannot read file

[ERROR] rpc_client::connect: connect to C:\Users\Public\Documents\Native Instruments\com.native-instruments.odr_agent.kks failed system:10061

etc., etc., and eventually the log file is marked closed.

I have a good backup from just before I updated my system, which I plan to use to restore things back to where they were on February 9 and try the update and plugin installs again. But until I get to doing that, what is this mystery file that I can't even find in my good backup, and what about this new directory "Browser Data" which no one I know with a KK rig has?

TIA

Comments

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 3,271 mod
    edited March 5
    Options

I have the "Browser Data," in the AppData\Local\Native Instruments\Komplete Kontrol directory" on my PC also , so that at least appear to be an ordinary folder (Win 10 , 64 bit here)

Great that you have a backup to revert to *!

What are your software versions ? Native Access ? , Komplete Kontrol ?

Be sure to be using latest version of Native Access for your OS (V.3.8.1)

You could try to reset the Komplete Kontrol database ! : My Komplete Kontrol Browser is Empty or Incomplete  : https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/209554889-My-Komplete-Kontrol-Browser-is-Empty-or-Incomplete

If that doesn't work then uninstall the Komplete Kontrol app, run the NI reg tool and remove any trace of in this case Komplete Kontrol if anything still left in registry and then try re-installing Komplete Kontrol to see if that makes any difference !

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,639 Expert
    Options

Hey Steve

So if you installed windows and then installed the latest KK,, I would go against the above suggestion and first make sure you are NOT using V3 of KK and install the V2.9 version from here:

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/14394517675677-How-to-Keep-Komplete-Kontrol-2-9-and-Komplete-Kontrol-3-on-Your-System

Air Music plugins are only VST2 compatible, there is no VST3 versions so maybe this is causing an issue in the latest KK even tho on Windows it should work. If you didn't upgrade to the MK3 keyboard then V2 of KK you will probably find works just fine.

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 636 Pro
    Options

Just throwing my own anchor into this topic to remind everybody that Native Access is now at version 3.9.0. It was failing downloads for me about a half-hour ago. And since I've had it opened on my desktop for about 2 weeks now, I decided to recycle it. After shutting it down and restarting it, I got the message saying "Native Access will be updated the next time you restart it". I clicked on that same message, and the update proceeded to shut down and install the new version of itself.

Remember, you may need to authorize NA for dependencies.

But yeah...if NA is screwing stuff up, it just may be trying to tell you it needs to be updated. So stop poking at the Frankenstein monster with your electrical probes, put down the mouse, and restart NA to see if you get that message I noted above. Always let NA update itself if it's trying to tell you something's not working (like download failed and such).