Kontrol 2024 outlook: what was, what now, what next?

Options

Comments

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 921 mod
    Options

@krisbg you had a few questions/thoughts. To summarize:

Q: "if possible to not pull the USB cable in order to send MIDI signal through the DIN out, would be great"

A: Certainly, it would be. That's not high on the priority list at the moment, and not mentioned as a consequence. Most people do one or the other. But I foresee us doing that only if/when we've delivered on those higher priorities.

Q: Kontakt 6 / Native Access availability

A: Please ask that question in the Kontakt/Native Access area(s) of the forum. I can't comment on that here. Same with any feedback for the Kontakt team or roadmap regarding resizable behaviours.

Q: "An 88 key controller with synth action would be a nice touch"

A: We have no plans for this at this time. Indications are simply that we wouldn't sell enough to make it worthwhile.

• Matthew_NI
    Options

Kontrol S MK3 is MIDI 2 ready. What we currently do is publish our capabilities to other equipment via the MIDI 2 protocol, and transmit MIDI 2 compliant messages.

However Operating Systems, Digital Audio Workstations, and other plug-in/hardware content still has a ways to go to be fully ready for MIDI 2. Many are still unstable when used with MIDI 2.

Once more official support for MIDI 2 is shipped on the environments in which Kontrol S MK3 is used, we'll follow up with MIDI 2 capabilities such as high resolution parameter adjustment and content capability discovery.

• Duffcat
    Duffcat Member Posts: 35 Helper
    Options

Is Logic MIDI 2.0 ready? There is the option in Settings.. Also, what is ‘content capability discovery’? That sounds super interesting.

• Matthew_NI
    Options

It is interesting! Check it out here -> https://midi.org/details-about-midi-2-0-midi-ci-profiles-and-property-exchange-updated-june-2023#:~:text=NEW%20MIDI-,CAPABILITY%20INQUIRY,-(MIDI%2DCI)%2D%20VERSION

Logic has MIDI 2 implemented, and shipped some further stability fixes late last year. I cannot comment as to the stability of the implementation, but for now we advise users remain in MIDI 1 mode when using Kontrol S MK3.

• Duffcat
    Options

MIDI 2.0 looks very promising but couldn't find anything on 'content discovery'. Would that have something to do with exchanging data regarding presets that is planned in MIDI 2.0 specs?

• Matthew_NI
    Options

My apologies - Capability Inquiry is the thing I'm referring to.

• Matthew_NI
    Options

Hi @Luzio !

I think perhaps the important thing to mention here is that the features I mention like Play Assist and MIDI Templates coming to Kontrol S MK3 are being implemented on the device. This means they function regardless of the software to which they're connected. It's significantly more futureproof.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,305 Guru
    Options

I can see where having Play Assist and MIDI Template confined to being implemented "on-device" can have some benefit of future-proofing.

BUT, relegating NKS2 to the same constraints of on-device" seems to limit the full potential of the NKS concept.

Browsing in particular is to me a huge part of NKS value, and browsing should be designed with the desktop being full-featured and having the biggest user interface/user experience priority.

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 1,103 Guru
    Options

@SuperTRev

"It refuses to just let it go and ignore Auto Tune, even though Auto Tune plugins aren't even present in my plugins list or checked (enabled) to be used."

KK cannot scan anything that has been unchecked.

I cannot see what is "Unchecked" on your screen cap - so how do you know the AT stuff is not being scanned?

And is the Auto Tune stuff - directly connected to any other plugs that you are scanning?

VP

• Matthew_NI
    edited March 11
    Options

Kontrol A, M and S MK2 are fully supported by KK 3.

The roadmap also clearly lays out the reimplementation of the features left behind in the transition from KK 2.9.6 to KK 3. I wouldn't characterize this as something that won't change. The roadmap emphasizes continual change.

For Kontrol S MK1, I can only refer you to this thread again: https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/17363/komplete-kontrol-s-series-mk1-keyboards-end-of-life/p1

Please also note (I have messaged several other users about this) that I am ultimately responding to everyone in this thread. I am not doing this in order of received, nor immediately, but over time. I wouldn't characterize that as disinterest.

• Duffcat
    edited March 11
    Options

All good! Just wanted to clarify in case this was some planned feature of 2.0 you had advance knowledge of.

Glad to see NI is ahead of the curve with hardware and on-board capabilities here. MK3 is a great development platform regardless of some shortcomings on release. I should also note that simply as a board, MK3 non-hammer is superb once you get used to it. It’s super fast and the poly-AT has just enough travel for real expressive use - map poly-at to pitch and turn the MK3 into a steel guitar. Brilliant! Easily my favourite key-bed!

On that note, personally I found the 88 too heavy and slow/mushy for me. It may just be a personal preference, but an 88 non-hammer would be so awesome!! I know it’s not planned, but would a survey help clarify how many users would opt for it? As a gigging and writing tool for non-classical piano players it would be invaluable. Novation and Arturia 88 non-hammer actions are really well received (check reviews online!) and they seem to be flying off the shelves as I can't find any stock at my local stores. Just saying...

• Phatnik
    Phatnik Member Posts: 16 Member
    Options

I love that you communicate like this, a big step ahead! And I love the improvements. Here are my points:

• PLEASE bring back the possibility of viewing browser AND instrument at the same time. Either/or added a lot of clicking and a big spanner into the spokes of my workflow, and NI stands for quick workflow.
    • PLEASE add DAW control to Maschine, as it has the same buttons and encoders as the keyboards and when we are in a DAW instead of Maschine, it is a big useless block on the desk that we could use to control our DAWs (this could lead to more prominent Maschine presence in studios as well).
    • PLEASE add a KK Fx Module (controllable by Keyboards AND Maschine) like the defunct Maschine Fx that we can insert on (return) tracks, so we can make us of the awesome NKS functions for effects (and try to get more Fx companies on the NKS train)
    • More Shortcuts for Maschine/KK for quick keyboard control
  • B.Minor
    B.Minor Member Posts: 178 Advisor
    edited March 12
    Options

@MyStudioOne wrote:

So the only thing I question is why not keep 2.9x development path alive instead of freezing it at 2.9.6. Trying to keep the MK2 supported by KK3.x is nothing more than trying to puy a square peg in a round hole. It is a downgrade, NOT an upgrade and that won't change and we all know that.

You nailed it perfectly.

@Matthew_NI wrote:

The roadmap also clearly lays out the reimplementation of the features left behind in the transition from KK 2.9.6 to KK 3. I wouldn't characterize this as something that won't change. The roadmap emphasizes continual change.

Can we take your general statement as an official NI promise that all features that haven't made it to KK3 yet - most of all the very often requested functionality to have library and plugin data to be displayed again simultaneously - will be implemented in a reasonable time? Otherwise I'd have to agree that MK2 users are (and will always be) treated by NI as 2nd class customers.

• Matthew_NI
    Options

I wouldn't ever promise a blanket "all features" statement.

But I will continue to provide specifics on which features.

Which in turn enables users to understand what to/not to expect next, and or advocate for changes.

TL:DR what's mentioned on the roadmap is next up, and what isn't is either not planned, or too far down the backlog to be mentioned yet.