Kontrol 2024 outlook: what was, what now, what next?

Options

Comments

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 921 mod
    Options

What do you mean by an omni controller? MIDI controllers can of course be used with any content. MK3 will be more usefully used with non-NKS content once the MIDI Templates ship, as mentioned on the roadmap.

• Matthew_NI
    edited March 11
    Options

Correct. It will work with anything.

@LostInFoundation you asked the following:

"I will try to explain what I think they are meaning: will MK3 (and its functionalities) be able to be used with HW synths WITHOUT the need of a computer as an intermediary? AKA turn it on, plug it to a synth and have things like Play Assist controlling them? By “anything” do you really mean ANYTHING?"

Yes, the answer is anything.

• JasonMckenna
    JasonMckenna Member Posts: 3 Member
    edited March 11
    Options

Regarding your completely dropping support for the MK1 series S-keyboards. This is VERY dissatisfying! Even Allen & Heath, a bigger company than yours, still supports their 14 year old products! Apparently they (care) about their customers and want their continued loyalty! Your S series keyboards (aren't) the best on the market, nor are they the (only) choice. I (won't) be buying a MK3, what for, if it's only got a lifespan of a few years! Even 13 year old MacBook Pros are still supported by Apple!

• theonlymj
    theonlymj Member Posts: 7 Member
    Options

I just need to put this here. And pray that NI and anyone who reads it understands. It’s a simple question.

If the MK3 did not have NKS, would you buy it? Likewise, if ANY competing midi controller had comparable NKS compatibility, would you buy the MK3 over it?

I think we all know the answer to both of those questions. Allow other companies to use NKS in their hardware and NI wouldn’t sell a single unit of the MK3. NKS is great but it doesn’t present enough value on its own and that seems to be the only thing the MK3 has going for it right now.

• Patrick McClure
    Patrick McClure Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I have a beloved NI 88 Mk2. Will KK3 work with this?

• RichieRich
    RichieRich Member Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 11
    Options

@Matthew_NI Deeper DAW integration is awesome I hope it includes Maschine software upgraded to a full one stop shop create,record,mix/master all in Machine software and hopefully we get a hardware update to integrate Maschine MK3 with the Komplete Kontrol MK3 keyboards because I love my Maschine MK3....I would even like to see them combined for the full Maschine DAW experience call the hardware "Machine Kontrol S1"!!!

• SuperTRev
    SuperTRev Member Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Thank you NI for this wonderful update, so we are not left in the dark.

Personally I'm patiently waiting for FL Studio integration with my S61 Mk3. And hopefully the IL plugins being added to the NKS Standard. They just released another plugin that I can't control with my keyboard at all. I can't even custom map it out because the KK MIDI mapping isn't done yet.

These things at the end of second quarter will be six months late from the promise, but better late than never.

I'm glad your power users complained about these things. As is common with all for-profit companies, the power users have a voice and us normal people don't. We are basically serfs in the kingdom while power users are nobles. We would have to have an army shouting the same thing to get a company to budge. Which breaks the fourth wall of our relationship, lifting the veil of niceties to reveal that this isn't about music or creativity or art or any of those things; it's all about business. Money talks.

I'm glad that I can just wait longer and eventually I will have a fully functioning keyboard. So no complaints while I wait.

Except that I had bought the Machine Mk3, then immediately sold it because you guys don't know what a stop button is. That kind of thing really scares me when I'm so financially invested in one company's hardware. (Still have my S61 Mk3 and my TK S3)

I have a bug report about the new update. The Komplete Kontrol stand alone app hangs when scanning Auto Tune plugins. It refuses to just let it go and ignore Auto Tune, even though Auto Tune plugins aren't even present in my plugins list or checked (enabled) to be used. So the KK app "is not responding" and I can't use it at all. One time after five minutes of it hanging it did work, but I'm not sure what's up with that. I was holding esc to cancel the scan the whole time it was hanging. Then when double checking the plugin library and rescanning it, same thing happened with 'Auto Tune Access'.

• Tuskerfort
    Tuskerfort Member Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Deeply appreciate the opportunity to weigh in and the road map you have shared.

Many of us use orchestral libraries and we have many discussions on vi control about long throw sliders to control them. A secondary market has emerged for sliders. Among NI’s offerings are orchestral instruments. Please consider this market segment.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,311 Expert
    Options

Quite strange your analysis of power users vs “normal” users. It is so different from NI one: for them, power users are just a subset and not enough to justify investments on the features only them use (therefore they don’t have the voice you think they have). They base their decisions on “how many people use it”, so the vaste majority army really counts the most.

As you said, “it's all about business. Money talks”. Few power users make them earn a lot less than all the normal users just using the keys 😏

• Steril
    Steril Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

what about the looong loading time of the KK plugin, am I the only one struggling with this? A shorter loading time is my greatest wish for the future

• DjObed
    DjObed Member Posts: 23 Member
    Options

Thank you for this update. I’ve bought the s88 and enjoy my purchase!! It’s an amazing device with loads of capabilities. I also thought that NI would expand the user experience and encourage you guys to keep it going as this device is capable of so much more! 😊

I have a question / request; when loaded Kontakt 7, and use multiple instruments, I’d love to have a volume knob on all first pages of each instrument. Now (as far as I know) I have to go into the software to balance the volumes to my likings. Is that possible? Or maybe even better, I would love to customize the parameters to my liking. Is that already or in the near future possible?

greeting and with kind regards

• krisbg
    krisbg Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

I agree with all criticisms and suggestions of previous users and will not repeat most of them. Still I would like again to stress my main concerns after everything I read: I own a S88 MKII for 4 years, and exactly two years ago I bought a S61MKII for my son, which still sits unused like brand new. Now hearing it will not only be not upgraded with at least some of the software features in MKIII, which should have already been in MKII, but also can lose some of the existing features and even total support, is really scary and disappointing. How much should I expect to have these keyboards with at least the current feature set (already understood that hoping for new features is pointless), and how much time to the total drop of support? Even though I am disappointed that none of the new features will be backported even at a reasonable upgrade price, I was thinking about getting a S61 MKIII for me as I need one more controller, and poly AT + Kontakt integration are really tempting, but now I really am not sure whether I should do it. My confidence in the company, which used to be my favorite on the market is eroded. And I know this is because of management/investors. I work for a software company recently acquired by another company, and the same thing happens - customers are really f..ed now with ridiculous price increases just to squeeze more milk from the cash cow.

Now some more focused questions and requirements:

As someone already mentioned, if possible to not pull the USB cable in order to send MIDI signal through the DIN out, would be great, especially if backported to MKIIs. Furthermore it would be great to be possible to send some of the split zones through USB for software control, and other zones - through MIDI DIN for hardware control simultaneously. Currently controlling hardware and software together might be possible only by routing through DAW.

How much do we expect that Kontakt 6 factory library will be available through Native Access for brand new installations? There are some instruments in it (like orchestral tubular bells), which are missing in 7 and I don't want to lose them. Should I make sure to have them backed up offline?

Many people use their controllers in a drawer under the main desk. Reaching the power button on the back is really a pain. With so much space available on the front panel, what about moving that button to a more convenient place, or maybe a second button with the same function, which is configurable to be disabled in live situations, to avoid accidental switching off?

An 88 key controller with synth action would be a nice touch, as long as it has all functionalities of the hammer action one - just two flavors.

Scalable UI for Kontakt is really a must. Only browser being resizable is not enough.

• Matthew_NI
    Options

The best-case for your volume needs today would be to press the DAW button, and use the volume knob for assigned to the track, and then hop back to the PLUG-IN.

That of course affects the entire multi, rather than the instruments within the multi, which is I think what you're asking. The NKS map for each instrument is defined by the designer for that instrument. This could be someone from our team if it's our instrument, or a third party partner if it's their instrument. I will discuss with the team whether we make this a hard requirement for the NKS implementation guidelines, but that might be too brute force.

Lastly, the user customization would be the path of least resistance to addressing this. You ask if that will be possible in the near future, and the simple answer is not within the next six months, but we do ultimately intend to open NKS 2 up to customization as with NKS 1.