New format (DCP)

Options
Olihop
Olihop Member Posts: 153 Advisor

What is the new installation format DCP on the new update of Analog Dreams?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 1,956 Guru
    Options

Eh...perhaps to make the library look cooler and have a higher quality, just my guess...

• aidenstunes
    aidenstunes Member Posts: 165 Advisor
    Options

Just thought about the very same thing, could be something to make the installer more reliable (?), let's see if the NI team can provide some info. @Jeremy_NI

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 1,956 Guru
    Options

Even Etheral Earth also got a DCP update.

Check it out on Native Access to see.

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 847 Guru
    Options
  • nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,298 Guru
    Options

All a part of GNAUP...

Grand Native Access Unification Project

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 3,125 mod
    Options

Thank you , I were not sure about if to 'guess' that ! 😉

• fed up with logins
    fed up with logins Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

So what actually is this new installer method?

If something is installing things on my computer, i'd rather like more information about what it is doing and how its doing it.

I have absolutely zero trust in NI now.

Your answer, like seemingly everything from NI nowadays provides an answer without actually answering the question.

• wuwu13
    wuwu13 Member Posts: 6 Member
    Options

I just tried to install the new updates (Analog Dreams and Ethereal Earth) that have been published in the DCP installer format. Both are not installing, they show the message "Download failed" after a while and go to Pause. I am running a M1 Mac under MacOS Ventura 13.6.4. Maybe there is an issue with the DCP installer.

Is anyone having the same issues and knows how to get that fixed?

• Milu
    Milu Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options
  • AtomOfScent
    AtomOfScent Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

And here I was hoping they finally figured out versioning and basic backwards compatibility so updates don't cripple every project that used the libraries with K6. 🤷‍♂️

With K7 50% off maybe they're getting ready to release K8 do the same with thing all over again?

"Changelog: fixed a typo, new version requirement Kontakt 8.0, up from 5.8."

• christophertmusic
    christophertmusic Member Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I have noticed that this new format (DCP) is installing the library directly to the location you want it, instead of through the aria2 method

So that will make installations simpler for us (unless you want to download installers and save them to your drives)

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,023 mod
    edited February 28
    Options

Updating a Kontakt library does not mess with projects that used older versions of the library, because the actual instruments loaded get serialized (saved into) the DAW project, the NKIs on the disk are not referenced at all.

Backwards compatibility is the most important thing for Kontakt, you can still load the oldest Kontakt 1 libraries in latest Kontakt - that all works. And DAW projects are not referencing NKIs on disk exactly because this would be volatile in case of any library updates, so that's why updating a library will not tamper with any existing projects.

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,023 mod
    Options

The new installer method downloads and installs things file by file, directly to the location where they need to be. There is no more downloading of a (potentially) huge ISO image, then unpacking, then moving things where they need to be, which required 3x the disk space than actually needed.

• ab459
    ab459 Member Posts: 11 Member
    edited March 2
    Options

Sorry i'm still not exactly understand from thread what this update actually does lol.

This say, that released some new system\principle of installation. Ok

So, what changes\fixes it bring to content itself ? (in Analog Dreams etc)

Do not more logically would be publice this along with any of fixes for library ?

Well i mean - it imply to download all content again just because was released new installation system lol ? 

It's just for some testing this new DCP system or idk