The next direct connection for the S-Mk3 keyboards? Hmmmm...

Options
nightjar
nightjar Member Posts: 1,288 Guru

Guesses on what the next direct connection for the S-Mk3 keyboards will be..

With Massive recently becoming NKS2 compatible, and it's legacy importance..

Is Massive the logical next application to become directly connected with the new keyboards?

Or something entirely new?

Comments

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 613 Pro
    Options

After Kontakt, I'm not sure there is an automatic "next choice". Your choice might be Massive (...or maybe Massive X?), while somebody else might want FM8 maybe?

I sure don't know, plus it probably doesn't really matter much in the long term anyhow; what with all the cruft that needs to be fixed as it is.

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 845 Guru
    Options

Yeah I think most people would agree that there's a lot of work that needs to be done before NI starts working on the next instrument that doesn't require KK or Kontakt.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    Options

Was that direct connection thingy ever confirmed to eventually happen for the whole product line? I'm still catching up to all the KK3/S3 shenanigans...

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 877 mod
    Options

Direct Connection API currently connects to both Kontakt 7 and Komplete Kontrol 3.

In terms of where it could go next, there are multiple paths. One could be on a per product basis, but that might be a lot of work for each individual product, and you'd lose the librarian-esque aspect to both K7 and KK3 that a lot of users like.

So another path might be deeper DAW integration, inclusive of native browsing.

And so on.

There are many avenues being explored, and I also cannot confirm any that we're currently working on.

• nightjar
    Options

There are some posts from @Matthew_NI in the AMA S-Mk3 launch thread about the concept of more NI products getting a Direct Connection .. so not a confirmation.. BUT some hints for sure.

@Matthew_NI also said in that AMA thread that the new tech stack made the possibility of Direct Connection a lot easier than the previous tech foundation. Why squander the investment in the new tech stack with just Kontakt and KK?

Having a powerful "synth" engine Directly Connected to the S-Mk3 keyboard instead of just sampled-based seems logical. So is Massive such a pick?

• nightjar
    Options

Deeper DAW integration ala Direct Connection sounds intriguing.

Where can I send some home-baked cookies as a bribe to nudge Logic Pro as the first pick?

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    Options

Oh, thanks very much Matthew, that was the answer I was looking for.

I'm a bit surprised that the direction is so open to many different possibilities, exciting and scary at the same time.

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 877 mod
    Options

That's where we're trying to take things at NI: to a more open, exciting (and maybe scary) place!

Long way to go yet though.

• MorrisEd
    MorrisEd Member Posts: 72 Helper
    Options

I don’t think anything else will get a direct connection because it doesn’t really make sense to lose all the functionality of Komplete Kontrol (control mapping especially). I also would highly doubt NI is going to dedicate resources to mapping anything to make a direct connect desirable, but my lack of faith may be a source of disagreement.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,802 mod
    edited February 15
    Options

To be honest I am not that fussed if nothing else gets a direct connection, although I do appreciate this was important for Kontakt users because of the lightguide access and NKS2 features, I can't see a strong case for too many things being taken out of the unified NKS ecosystem built around Komplete Kontrol (and Maschine) - it just makes things messy and inconsistent (eg the experience of NKS in Kontakt is already quite different from that in KK). Also if Massive X got it, there would probably also need to be a standalone.

I'd rather see development focus on addressing the outstanding issues then developing a fully fledged FX version (and automation and saveable chains for FX) which is something that has been neglected for far too long.

• nightjar
    edited February 15
    Options

Well...here's a thought on the "Direct Connection Roadmap"...

Rather than focus on bring more DC stuff to the S-Mk3 keyboards.. DC/tech stack will be the tool to unify development of 3 hardware/software ecosystems:

1) Kontakt + KK3

2) Maschine

3) Guitar Rig (a new Guitar Rig Kontrol device on the horizon?)

All 3 will share the same on device CPU, Display and 8 knobs.. other hardware features designed for the need of the performer... keyboard player, beat maker, guitar player

They will all share the same FX too

Audio interface and on-device DSP included as needed.

• nightjar
    edited February 18
    Options

Again.. where do I send home-baked cookies to nudge Logic as the first DAW to get direct connection to Kontrol S-Mk3?

This bribery worked very well with Nektar and their new CS12: