Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2 - G#5 key not working

Options
F3Minor
F3Minor Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
Greetings everyone,

I'm having an issue with my Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2 midi keyboard (bought in 2021) at which the 5th G# key is not responding (not transmitting any output when pressed) which I noticed today after not using my keyboard piano for about a year.

When pressed the blue lamp above the key is not even flashing though I managed to trigger the blue lamp after many attempts once briefly by holding down the G# key for about 10 seconds and spamming the key twice rapidly afterwards. However the key's lamp stopped flashing shortly after and remained unresponsive again (seems to be a hardware problem rather than a Windows/Software issue)

Although I'm uncertain about the reason what caused this issue as all keys still worked a year ago (G#5 is the only defective one today) maybe a possible cause could either be dust below the key on whatever is beneath G#5 (pressure plate, circuit board etc.) or maybe due to the cold and warmth when airing my room temporary by opening my windows accross the year the plastic material around the (presumably) lever might have deformed thus not hitting the "pressure plate" (my assumption) anymore though my S88 was covered by a somewhat thick blanket when not in use.

However, the fact that G#5 is the only defective key keeps me pondering.

Is there any way to fix or in the worst case replace the malfunctioning G#5 key?
Or is the KK S88 repairable by professional electronic reparation stores as it's just one defective key?

Kind regards

Answers

• F3Minor
    Options
    Update:

I just pressed with little strength across the bar from left to right where the blue lights are a few times and also gently pressed the other keys a several times and now suddenly the G#5 key is somewhat "working" again. However it still responds more damped than all other keys thus requiring more strength to reach a similar output compared to the other keys. Pressing on the bar especially above this key seems to have helped improving (though not entirely fixing) the key's functionality.

If anyone or Support would still have an idea for completely restoring this key's max output level I'd appreciate it otherwise I kindly ask to lock/close this post. Thank you!
  • reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 845 Guru
    Options

If your keyboard isn't covered under warranty any more, I would turn it upside down, unscrew the bottom plastic cover and take a vacuum to the keybed then spray it out with compressed air.

While it's open, check the key for any signs of damage. If you see damage, or the key is still having issues, then I would take it to a music repair shop.

• F3Minor
    Options
    > @reffahcs said:
    > If your keyboard isn't covered under warranty any more, I would turn it upside down, unscrew the bottom plastic cover and take a vacuum to the keybed then spray it out with compressed air.
    > While it's open, check the key for any signs of damage. If you see damage, or the key is still having issues, then I would take it to a music repair shop.

Alright! Thank you very much for your advice! I'll give it a try and see what I can do.
  • Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,797 mod
    Options

In case you need to contact our hardware service, here's the link: https://bit.ly/NI_support_Hardware