HELP PLEASE πŸ™ Anyone else having issues with Mk3 keyboard midi randomly changing pitch?

Options
musiccityLB
musiccityLB Member Posts: 19 Member
I bought a new S49 MK3 keyboard end of Oct '23. Worked fine until last week. The problem is now whenever I try to play an instrument - apparently with aftertouch capabilities - the pitch randomly shifts up half a semitone (sometimes 3/4 semitone) and sticks for random number of notes/chords and then will correct to proper note/pitch. Ni support suggested I use MIDI monitor software to capture MIDI data. I did so and pitch wheel and mod wheel seem to be functioning correctly. However, when I play keyboard notes - the data shows random 'pitch wheel' data interspersed in key/note data. Obviously, this accounts for random pitch shifting while playing. I think I this is a keyboard hardware failure related to aftertouch components? Still waiting to hear from NI support for remedy or directions to return keyboard for repair or exchange. I'm in middle of several productions and my keyboard is utterly unusable! HELP PLEASE!

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,797 mod
    Answer βœ“
    Options

@musiccityLB I see that your replacement keyboard is on it's way, as this seems to be a hardware failure.

Answers

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 876 mod
    Options

Have you tried disabling Aftertouch from the KSMK3's hardware settings page?

• musiccityLB
    Options
    Hi Matthew - thank you so much for your reply. I did just now disable Aftertouch from the KK MK3 hardware settings page. Unfortunately, the issue persists. While playing keys of instrument the pitch randomly shifts up a half or 3/4 semitone. It sticks for random time. For example, right now after disabling aftertouch I played a C3 and after a handful of keystrokes it shifted to sounding a C#3. I play a C major triad and it sounds a C# major triad. It is now not resuming correct pitch. I may need to power off and back on to get correct pitch for a short time and then it will fail again. What do I do? I think the keyboard hardware has failed in some manner and needs to be replaced. I bought brand new from Sam Ash on October 24, 2023. I have receipt of course.Thank you again for your help! πŸ™
  • musiccityLB
    Options
    Matthew - additional info: the pitch is now seemingly "stuck" up a 1/2-3/4 semitone and does not correct. I have restarted my computer and Komplete Kontrol but pitch issue persists. Interestingly, I did load up a few other instruments such as Alicia Keys and The Giant and they play in correct pitch. I go back to various other instruments such as Electric Keys (Diamond & Phoenix) and Ignition Keys and the problem remains.
  • musiccityLB
    Options

These photos are of the MIDI monitor software that NI suggested I use to look at MIDI data between my keyboard and computer. In these photos I am just playing a key on keyboard - not touching anything else including pitch wheel - and yet as seen in highlights - pitch wheel data is being randomly triggered. This must account for the random pitch shifting I'm hearing when playing keyboard.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,797 mod
    Answer βœ“
    Options

@musiccityLB I see that your replacement keyboard is on it's way, as this seems to be a hardware failure.