Is KK Software less important than Maschine to NI?

1235»

Comments

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,285 Guru
    edited April 2022

No, it's a design element that has been hampered by keeping it friendly to NI controller hardware.

It's as if all smart device apps had to restrict their usability design to a Blackberry phone.

And current NI controller hardware will not come anywhere close to being able to accommodate what a modern preset/sampler browser needs to do in the competitive marketplace. It is a lost cause.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,592 Expert

Ok, fair enough, I get your focused point of view, just seems not that big a deal tbh and I have not had any usability issues finding a sound to get going with. Guess it's just easier for some to adapt to but no different than many other cloud tag based filters I have used over the decades.

What is your proposed solution to this, forget about hardware how would you see it even work on-screen?

• nightjar

The impact of machine learning and being able to create some sort of spectral and time domain signature of a preset/sample will open up far more powerful ways of finding and creating the sounds we want.

Without trying to verbalize the design details, it's easier to just look at some examples emerging in the marketplace that partially indicate direction and potential:

Sononym -

Waves COSMOS -

XLN Audio XO -

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert

Sorry, I do not like any of those three. KK layout seems to me be way better. But generally, if you like those three..... Use them!!!! And stop using KK. It is as easy as that.

If you do not like displays on controllers, buy controller without them Mikro, Jam A series..... You save money.

• nightjar

It's not simply the layout that is the point of concern.. it's a foundational concept of how to identify the sonic qualities you're seeking and selecting to manipulate... THEN it's the follow up issue of how to layout and interact.

The limits of a "Blackberry Phone" can't get you there......

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,789 Expert

There is no Blackberry Phone limit..... It is only in your imagination....

KK may be improved here and there, new features may be added sooner or later, but it works quite OK as it is.

You would prefer left to right ordering of things.... But from egonomic reasons the vertical layout is better and that is why NI has choosen such layout.

I guess, you have already noticed text in newspapers is in columns. It is for reason....

• JesterMgee
    edited April 2022

Yeah same. They all use the same library browser code and the issue is that presets for a synth are not the same as browsing for a sample, does not easily cater for layered/split instruments, does not easily allow you to browse by name (important for articulations) and actually requires FAR too much space. I hate Waves for everything, and I own XO but don't use it because it's not good IMO when you want a specific souund, good if you don't know what you want and need to roll the dice maybe but it's far from the way I would like to search for things, it's more a gimmick.

I have zero issues with the way the cloud tag displays and is used, personally I see far greater problems to be solved than making a more cluttered display of browsing, I think this whole discussion is making a mountain out of a molehill.

Just allow the actual KK window to be resized and maybe also the ability to click character tags that either include in a result or exclude (by double click or something) so you can remove things like arpeggiated sounds for instance. Throw in a "select random" button or just a "shuffle" and that would be enough to satisfy my needs on the browser side.

• nightjar

Heck of a "gimmick" that lays ahead... and is a key point of partnership with iZotope.

And browsing for a Preset will certainly fit nicely within this approach as it expands in scope and refinement.

There is the opportunity to become a de-facto standard over the next few years. A next-level NKS so to speak.

Someone will do it and reap the rewards.

• JesterMgee

Ok, your opinion is clear, will bail out of this one now but would suggest not to hang your hat on waiting on this feature.

• Olihop
    Olihop Member Posts: 152 Advisor

What I would like to see as an evolution on the komplete A series keyboards is the addition of eight faders or knobs (like on the Minilab mk2) to have a wider choice of maneuvering to manipulate the instruments and thus gain in comfort. This would reduce considerably the navigation in the pages which is still boring. There is enough room to integrate this.

• Vagus
    Vagus Member Posts: 410 Guru

@Matt_NI or @D-One Is there a way to close threads? No issue with opinions, but it's morphed into an ecosystem versus hardware discussion, which is probably better in other threads.

• Matt_NI
    Matt_NI Administrator Posts: 1,112 admin

@Vagus Yes, it's possible for mods/admins and thank you for flagging this.

We'll leave it there.

This discussion has been closed.