Session Horns Pro - articulation question

Options
plugger
plugger Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
edited January 16 in Kontakt

I am an amateur keyboardist trying to add a simple sax track to a "motown instrumental" song I've put together.

I have selected Solo Tenor Sax, with articulation Marcato Long.

Can I configure the Marcato Long articulation to sustain for as long as I hold down the key? (I don't understand the value of having it abruptly cut out, and not respecting the MIDI sustain signal.)

I chose Marcato Long because it sounds pretty good while, given my ignorance of SHP, all the other articulations sound micky mouse. (My wife described the vibrato articulation as "kazoo"). The only problem with Marcato Long is that it quits the note after about a second.

I have to admit I am frustrated. I have had good success in the past with the basic sax patch built into my Roland keyboard... it sounds like a sax. Despite all the bells and whistles in SHP, I can't get a simple bluesy sax sound. I am sure the problem is my ignorance.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Plugger

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro
    edited January 16 Answer ✓
    Options

Marcato (similar to pizzicato, staccato, rips, shakes, sforzando, et al) is an articulation with a finite sample duration (dependent on tempo) and no sustain looping scripted into the ADSR. That is why they are available as short (2 beat) and long (4 beat). Only the Sustain(s) have looping points that react to held notes or CC64.

You could try what I do and layer the Marcato with an underlying Sustain on another instrument instance/track.

As good as they sound for some genres, SHP is not the pinnacle of sampled horns, but is quite usable in most situations.

Answers

• Brad Yost
    edited January 16 Answer ✓
    Options

Marcato (similar to pizzicato, staccato, rips, shakes, sforzando, et al) is an articulation with a finite sample duration (dependent on tempo) and no sustain looping scripted into the ADSR. That is why they are available as short (2 beat) and long (4 beat). Only the Sustain(s) have looping points that react to held notes or CC64.

You could try what I do and layer the Marcato with an underlying Sustain on another instrument instance/track.

As good as they sound for some genres, SHP is not the pinnacle of sampled horns, but is quite usable in most situations.

• plugger
    plugger Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    edited January 16
    Options

Thanks much @Brad Yost. How do i do the layering you are describing? (I am a real novice with SHP)

I tried one thing (naively) which didn't work well. I duplicated the Marcato track and changed the instrument on the duplicate to Vibrato, which has sustain. I don't think that is what you had in mind.

I am using StudioOne.

I think a reasonable goal is that the sax sound I hear when playing is the final sound. I don't think it will work for me to play with one sound and then "in the studio" modify it considerably. I don't know if that is how your solution works.

Maybe you could recommend an alternative sax product? My main need is for solo sax, and optionally horn, with a rock/soul sound.

Plugger

• Brad Yost
    Options

You're on the right path. Two tracks, two instances of the instrument, different articulations.

I often layer strings with Staccato on top of a Sustain for more attack, for example.

Just some examples of alternatives available that I use for mockups are from;

VSL Syncron-ized Saxophones

8Dio Studio Saxophones

AcousticSamples V-Horns

ProjectSAM Swing!

and Hollywood Pop Brass from EastWest.

However... given the cost, you may want to hire a live sax player instead. 😝