Using Komplete Kontrol s61 mk3 with Kontakt and CHANNELS

Raz Koller
Raz Koller Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

Hello.

I just purchased the new Kompltete Kontrol s61 mk3 last week, and it's terrific for the studio and working with your daw, but I'm not sure about live performance.

I want to be able to switch plug-ins or sounds on the fly by changing midi channels. When I perform I usually need at least 2 different sounds per song, usually more.

I can start Kontakt and set up different plug-ins on different channels, but I can't seem to switch between different channels with this keyboard.

Which is weird, considering I can do that with my WAY older Roland a-800Pro.

So am I missing something? Is there a way switching between channels on this keyboard?

Best Answer

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 684 mod
    Answer ✓

MIDI Template editing is in progress - will hopefully be in beta by March for release some time after that.

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 8,833 mod

@Raz Koller It's not possible to edit the MIDI channels at the moment but this will be implemented soon.

• Raz Koller

@Jeremy_NI

Can you please define 'soon'? Are we talking in the current month? In Q1?

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 427 Pro

I'll let Jeremy respond of course, but to me "NI soon" means "maybe this year", but "the good Lord willing and the creek don't rise". Any emergencies, real or imagined, will probably delay it, along with everything else.

If he had said that the devs were "working on it", then I'd say maybe within 3-6 months.

If he had said it was in beta or "about to go to beta", then I would call it "sometime in the next 0 to 3 months".

I could be way off, of course. But probably not. 😉

All flood and creek rising warnings still apply of course. What kind of emergencies could happen? Well, anything from a local severe weather event anywhere where NI has team members, all the way up to some new Euro-zone drama. Or expanding war in the mideast. Or the US Congress forcing companies to replace all touch-screens with windmills. Hey, stranger things have happened.

Company leaders can also create emergencies, with orders like "Drop everything! We have to change the paint for the new Komplete!" to "Drop everything! We need to audit all employee potty breaks!"

Why yes...I've been in business for so long that the Dilbert cartoons aren't just humor pieces. They're outright DOCUMENTARIES!

• Raz Koller
    edited January 10

@Biff

Gotta say, I'm a fairly new NI customer. I recently started purchasing some sounds because I liked them and was gearing up for a new project, and when I was in the market for a new midi keyboard, I saw a demo of the s61 mk3 and thought 'you know what? I already own a bunch of their plug-ins, and that looks like a really cool keyboard that integrates amazingly with these plugins, so why not?'. Even though it is on the more expensive side of midi keyboards.

And I don't really feel I got a product that matches its' price point.

I just assumed it would be able to do what keyboards that cost a quarter of its price can do - and more.

I guess I should have read more reviews, because after purchasing the keyboard and looking in forums here and in other places, I see that the underbaked condition in which they've released it is nothing new, and I would have been better off buying from another company or waiting a year or so for updates.

Hell, the 88 M-Audio one costs less than half than this one, and it integrates perfectly with all DAWs and allows you the magic of changing midi channels...

I know, you must be saying 'a midi controller that let's you change midi channels?! Sorcery! Surely you are jesting, sir!', but I swear, it's true! I saw it with my own eyes.

Joking aside, I'm going to give them a little bit more of my patience before I move on to other companies, and if @Jeremy_NI wants to tell me that Biff is off and that we are talking about an update that is coming really soon, as in in the coming month, that would be great to hear and would restore the trust.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 8,833 mod

@BIF I understand what you mean. Maybe @Matthew_NI can share a timeline for these features to be implemented?

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 684 mod
    Answer ✓

MIDI Template editing is in progress - will hopefully be in beta by March for release some time after that.