Session compatibility broken with Kontakt 7 NI Instruments Upgrades

Options
badlands
badlands Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
edited December 2023 in Kontakt

Hi, apologies if this has been answered previously - couldn't find it.

So I upgraded to Kontakt 7. Previous sessions (Logic) using Kontakt 6 had the plug-in named as "Kontakt" - the new version is labeled as "Kontakt 7".

Now the newer version of Analog Dreams, Ethereal Earth and Modular Icons only run in Kontakt 7. The problem is, they won't load in the original Kontakt 6 plug-in now, breaking session compatibility.

I see a possible solution is downgrading the versions of those 3 effects but are there other options, such as renaming Kontakt 7 plug-in to show up as "Kontakt" so I could seamlessly use the new version on old sessions? Any other solutions? I'd like to preserve my settings and will downgrade if I must since this has broken old sessions. Thanks!

TLDR: Upgraded to Kontakt 7, now Kontakt 6 sessions won't run Analog Dreams, Modular Icons and Ethereal Earth, resulting in lost settings and broken tracks.

Answers

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 1,939 Guru
    Options

Because the K6 is at that moment too old to run these instruments.

• badlands
    badlands Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Thanks, yes - I understand. My question is there a way to allow the settings of these effects to transfer over to Kontakt 7, aside from saving them as patches? Like ideally, Kontakt 7 would just be "Kontakt" so I could open a session last saved with Kontakt 6 and they would retain all settings. Is this not possible?

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 1,939 Guru
    Options

Effects?

What do you mean by 'effects'?

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,739 mod
    Options

@badlands Auto migration from previous Kontakt versions is only possible with a few DAWs: Notes about Auto-Migration of Kontakt Versions in DAW Projects