How to view long titles Kontakt 7 Library Browser

Options
Jerad
Jerad Member Posts: 7 Member

I can't seem to be able to widen the preset list column on the right side of the library browser window in Kontakt 7. I have presets much longer than the column width and I can't see what it is.

In the traditional window, I can see what's been highlighted on the bottom left. The new Kontakt 7 library browser window doesn't seem to have that available.

What can I do?

Comments

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 1,943 Guru
    Options

If you mean that you want to shorten the title of an instrument, this tip might help.

First, load any instrument with a long title.

Then change the settings of the instrument just a microscopicaly little bit, then click the name of the instrument, shorten it, give it a unique but short name or just give it an abbrevation, anything you want, then save it.

But before you save it, you need to go to the File, then Options, and then make sure that you have checked the Ask for confirmation when closing or replacing modified instruments, basicaly a Save as.

Hope it helps.

• Milos
    Options

But if you want to just load the long titled libraries, just type the part of the title and it should probably show up.

• Jerad
    Options

Thank you. I could do that...for hundreds of presets one by one...OR they could just make the column width adjustable.

I've attached an example of the view.

As you can see, I don't know what any of those presets actually are. Violin, Viola, Cello, etc...

I just need a little more space to view it.

• Milos
    Options

Again, just make abbrevations of them.

That should work.

• Jerad
    Options

Thanks again. I'll probably batch bulk rename some of those instruments from Finder until the day that Native Instruments decides to add this simple UI feature.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,833 mod
    Options

@Jerad Unfortunately there's not much to be done. Maybe get in touch with 8Dio to suggest to them they change their preset names with something a little bit shorter?

• Jerad
    Options

Why can't we just make that column width adjustable? This can't be that hard. I don't understand.

It's not only 8Dio. It's many libraries. Clearly the best solution would be an adjustable column width.

• Milos
    Options

Yeah...probably.

Have a nice day, sir.

• tomemitsu
    tomemitsu Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Exactly this. It's so dumb the width is non-adjustable. Just another thing to add to my Kontakt woes with orchestral instruments like spitfire and Project Sam, and even NI libraries like Scarbee "x", where the name of that preset has the instrument's name before descriptive text just like in the photo you showed.

This seems like a really typical function to include in a text box interface yet this one part of the plugin that really needs it doesn't have that feature!?!! I'm surprised more people haven't complained. I was at my wits end today when I decided to look in the forum for the way to change the settings, but apparently... nope.

I guess we just have to manually go in and rename hundreds of presets, which is not the sort of game changing productivity I was hoping for when I got into NI/Kontakt eco-system....

• B.Minor
    B.Minor Member Posts: 178 Advisor
    Options

Fully agree. And even if it shouldn't be possible to develop a quick solution in order to display long preset titles completely, then it would at least be appreciated by users if the app could show the full title when hovering with the mouse over such enties. That's at least how every professional application would overcome that problem.

• tomemitsu
    tomemitsu Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Yes! This is a wonderful solution. Please NI do something bout this for my poor eyes. They've taken so much abuse...