KNOWLEDGE IS POWER DO NOT PURCHASE ANY PLAY SERIES ITEMS IF YOU CANT UPGRADE PASS K7 PLAYER 7.4.2

Options
Banga
Banga Member Posts: 22 Member
edited November 2023 in Kontakt

MAJORITY OF THE PLAY SERIES ITEMS HAVE BEEN UPGRADED TO ONLY FUNCTION IN KP 7.6 and up. Unfortunately you will get an Error message saying your version of Kontakt Player 7 is too old. I recently found out the hard way even with Duets play series which said that it could work in Kontakt Player 7.1...so I purchased it and boom the error message. NOTE the EXPANSION PACKS are cool so download away because they don't need KP7 to work. Unfortunatley I can't Update my Mac OS past Catalina because of non Apple ssd and firmware error message lol anycase Buyers Beware of the Play series because it will NOT work unless NI Decides to make a downgrade link specifically for your product here >>>>>> https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/17039/previous-versions-of-recently-updated-kontakt-libraries-compatibility-with-k6-older-libraries/p1

Comments

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 845 Guru
    Options

What version of Kontakt Player do you have installed?

Seems pretty straight forward to me. The NI product portal says Duets works with KP 7.1.5 or higher, so if you have KP 7.1.5 or higher installed and it doesnt work then submit a ticket and ask for a refund?

• Banga
    Options

As I stated above 7.4.2 Kontakt Player does not work with any newly purchased play series unless a moderator or NI took time to provide a downgrade 2.0. version that would be compatible with any KP7.4.2 and below. I assume these play series were working perfectly before the new hardware keyboard that NI OFFERS and its probably difficult for this multimillion dollar company to provide downgrade links to make the product folks purchased accessible go figure...

• reffahcs
    edited November 2023
    Options

I get you're upset but you need to dial it down a bit, and take a deep breath. You never said what version KP you had installed, your title simply had a reference to "UPGRADE PASS K7 PLAYER 7.4.2."

At any rate I think I finally understand what you're saying. It's really hard for people to follow you though when you're so upset that you don't clearly articulate the facts and leave out the important technical details.

Here's a post that would have made your situation a lot easier for people to understand. And this is what I understand your current situation to be. Please correct me if any of the details are wrong.

-----------------

Banga

"I have KP 7.4.2 installed and recently purchased Duets from NI's website which is advertised as being compatible with KP 7.1.5"

"However, upon installing it from NA, I received an error message saying my KP version is too old. Upon checking the NA release notes for Duets I discovered that it actually requires KP 7.6 to run. Please refund my money since I can not upgrade to KP 7.6, or a provide a link to a Duets version that is compatible with 7.1.5"

• Banga
    edited November 2023
    Options

Im cool bro...Its more of a misleading advertisement from NI ... I just want what's advertised to work for the most part ....My bad I assumed you knew I must have 7.4.2. KP player because I led off saying that in another post lol apologies ..but nonetheless what's shocking is that NI has downgradeble versions that will work...I just downloaded a few via that link I posted... and Im up an running again somewhat but still disappointed because Hybrid Keys is a no go for the 2.0 version along side duets

• Banga
    Options

My bad bro I posted my version in another post lol thought it was this one...but I have 7.4.2 for the most part I just want what's advertised to actually work. Also the link below provides downgrade versions for the play series Vst's that NI chose to take time to make downgradable which I appreciate...

Tagged: Hybrid KeysElectric MintKontakt 7Kontakt Player

• reffahcs
    Options

Oh 100% if they're advertising anything on their website and saying it works with KP version XYZ then they need to make that available. And honestly it wouldn't hurt for NI to explain that when you download it through NA you're going to get the latest version so if you need a legacy version you need to follow these steps.

I myself was confused as to the issue until I saw the release notes in NA and then I realized like wow, they're advertising 7.1.5 but NA says it has to be 7.6 that's really messed up.

• Banga
    Options

For sure...I usually keep my computer updated so I can keep up with things like this but due to my eBay bought MacBook having a non apple ssd it gives me an error message stating hard drive incompatible with the firmware and internal storage blah blah. which is just another measure apple now uses to make sure you buy apple hardware...its all about the money smh...

• reffahcs
    Options

If you want, send me a message with the details of your Macbook, I can try to see if there's a fix for it. My day job is cybersecurity, so I deal with all kinds of tech day in and day out. I know of the more recent stuff though it's almost impossible.

I watched a video where they swapped hard drives between that latest M2 Mac Studios, this was Mac to Mac... not even 3rd party! And it still didn't work! Because some chip wasn't programmed to accept the serial number of the new SSD even though it came straight from another Mac Studio.

• Banga
    Options

Good looking ....MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

• Banga
    edited November 2023
    Options

(Update for Mac Users) Im able to download OS Big Sur and so far I updated the Kontakt Player to 7.6(PROGRAM ONLY) but be clear I did not download (KOMPLETE START) which is bundled with the KP7.6 download on THE NI WEBSITE... I will give Big Sur a good week or so to try out and provide an update to how it performs being that I have 2015 MacBook Pro 15inch 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB Intel Iris Pro 1536 Mb 16gb RAM

• iNate
    iNate Member Posts: 169 Advisor
    Options

It's pretty standard to not offer updates to users on machines that cannot installer (or do not have installed) the requisite platform version installed.

If you're on a machine/OS that cannot update Kontakt beyond 7.5 and that version is installed on the machine, for example, then Native Access should not even offer those updates to that user.

The ecosystem updater should check the installed versions of the platforms on the PC, as well as the version of the OS the software is running on, and simply not even offer those updates as an option (they can easily tag minimum platform and OS version to allow Native Access to hide them).

Tons of developers already do this, to avoid this exact issue (users installing updates that break compatibility on their systems, with no easy way to revert/downgrade back to a compatible version).

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,785 mod
    edited November 2023
    Options

If you're on a machine/OS that cannot update Kontakt beyond 7.5 and that version is installed on the machine, for example, then Native Access should not even offer those updates to that user.

I think Native Access does do that for things like Kontakt, I’ve seen people on Catalina for example saying it won’t serve them updates beyond a certain version

The problem here is it’s not smart enough, yet, to do the same for libraries, when the version of Kontakt that is on the system is below what the library update requires

It also could do with a user controlled ‘version freeze’ option to allow users to keep a version at a certain level if they need that and exclude it from ‘update all’ commands

• iNate
    iNate Member Posts: 169 Advisor
    Options

Correct, and that's my point. It should do it for libraries because all updates should be tagged with minimum Platform (Kontakt, REAKTOR) required to run it.

So, if user has Kontakt 7.5 and the update for "Deft Lines" requires Kontakt 7.7.5, then Native Access should see the disparity and not offer the update to that user.

Or, the user should see the update, but the option to update should be disabled and a tooltip saying "Requires Kontakt 7.7.5" should pop up when they mouse over it.

And when they go to Kontakt, the update for that should be greyed out with a tooltip saying "Requires macOS X.Y.Z" to install.

That way, users can be informed of what the requirements are before an update screws their installation up in a way that requires them to contact and wait for a reply from tech support to rectify the issue.

OS support is less of an issue on Windows, but platform support is still a factor - especially when users hold off on platform updates due to known bugs they are waiting to get fixed.