It's almost 2024 can I relocate all my Kontakt libraries at once yet?

Options
james-bond
james-bond Member Posts: 3 Member
edited November 2023 in Kontakt

Why do I have to relocate them all manually?

Comments

• Milos
    Milos Member Posts: 1,939 Guru
    Options

Unfortunately, from my experience, Kontakt doesn't really 'have' the automatic relocation feature...

But there is a way to manually relocate libraries!

For 3rd party instruments-simply create a folder anywhere you like, put them inside that folder, then go to the Kontakt 7, open Files, then check the name of the folder you created.

For original NI instruments (Play Series, Session Instruments etc.) create a different custom folder specifically on the desktop if you have relocation issues (happened to me once), and then go to the File Management in Native Access and change the locations for either VST 32bit or 64 bit or anything to the custom folder you specifically created on the desktop.

I did these and they helped me a lot!

I hope it solves or at least minimizes the issue!

Have a good day, sir!

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,784 mod
    edited December 2023
    Options

I don't see how this could help really, for a start it still means doing it manually, with just some extra steps added, and it could cause more problems. Generally people want to relocate their libraries onto an external SSD drive, not the desktop, which uses the system drive and so could take up a lot of disk space, which will then impact on performance. Best to move them to the drive you want them on then use the repair/relocate function. afaik there is a relocate all now in NA 2 but I hear results are mixed, it is a bit of pain doing it manually but once done it's done, I had to do it myself a while back but this was before there even was a relocate all function so I did it the hard way, manually. I would rather not risk messing things up anyway so tend to prefer doing things like this one by one anyway as I can then check everything is working as I go along.

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,222 mod
    Options

I had the multiple relocation work on a Mac in NA2. I moved the libraries manually, clicked on the "relocate" option for one of them in NA2 and got an option to relocate all of them at once. Worked ok for me, but I only had a few libraries installed at that point and needed to move them to an external HDD so I could install other stuff.

-- Mike

• Kymeia
    Options

Cool, pleased to hear it worked for you. I might risk it just for a few but not for lots, maybe do in small batches then?

• mykejb
    Options

It worked for three on mine. If I get a minute tomorrow I'll try a mass-move and see what happens. It's only really on a test machine so if it falls in a big heap it's not a problem!

-- Mike

• mykejb
    Options

That worked perfectly :) I moved 15 libraries to another folder and started NA. A "Relocate All" button appeared at the top right of NA. Clicking that let me choose the new folder.

That's on MacOS Sonoma, Intel Mac

-- Mike

• Kymeia
    Options

It's almost 2024 can I relocate all my Kontakt libraries at once yet?

So the answer is now 'yes' - cool