[New release] PLAYBOX is a game changer for creativity and workflow!

Options

Comments

• Nadine Raihani
    Nadine Raihani Product Team Posts: 7 mod
    Options

Hey lichtkind, we started developing Playbox around 3 years ago. The first 6 months were mainly spent working on the design and sound concept followed by building the first versions of Playbox in Kontakt and creating design layouts. Then the cycle was: build -> user test -> refine -> build etc. until we reached the final version. The sample and preset library creation took around 1-1.5 years.

• Nadine Raihani
    Nadine Raihani Product Team Posts: 7 mod
    Options

We used the Sampler Mode for Playbox which is available for all Kontakt Instruments. We did make a couple of modifications regarding how the sounds should be pitched specifically within a chord and also added a feature called Root Order where Samples with the lowest root note are assigned to the note with the lowest pitch in the chord. This preserves the voicing and harmonic structure. For example, it prevents a Glockenspiel from playing the lowest note in your chord.

• Truth42
    Truth42 Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Nadine,

I think Playbox is a highly original concept and a beautiful creation. I'd really like to find a means of incorporating it into my workflow. I think that might be possible with some of the tweaks being discussed on this forum.

I wish you every success with this. Three years is a very long time to work on anything.

Ian

• LoveEnigma
    LoveEnigma Member Posts: 82 Advisor
    edited April 2022
    Options

I think I just noticed a bug in PLAYBOX.

As per the user manual, the dice to the right on the Samples page is meant for randomizing all the "samples" in the matrix. However, I see that it also changes the chords/notes of the samples each time the dice is rolled. This is true even if the chords are locked on the Chords tab or the key is locked on the top right.

Same goes for dices for each sample rows and columns.

I was expecting them to ONLY randomize samples.

Is this a known bug or am I understanding it wrong?

• LoveEnigma
    Options

Regarding undo/redo point we have discussed before, apart from a global undo/redo perhaps at top right corner of main page, it would also make sense to have them on each page toolbars at the bottom (the area above the category name, on the right of each page type, that is currently free is probably the best place). This is because while you are randomizing Chords, Samples or FX, sometimes you might want to go back to something you got before you randomize something.

• Youngamerican68
    Youngamerican68 Member Posts: 9 Member
    Options

Hello,

How do I get Playbox to play a chord progression that I have in a track on Logic or is that not the intended use for this plugin? I try to draft the midi region from the Logic project into Playbox but it doesn't do anything?

Thanks

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,064 mod
    Options

In cubase on windows it works as expected, maybe another issue with au plugins, but i don't know for sure. On the other hand it would be reported by others if it's not working i guess. Are you on the chords page while trying to drag and drop?

Uwe

• LoveEnigma
    Options

I am planning to buy PLAYBOX today. I just want to know if our feedback is being considered and we will see an update in near future to make PLAYBOX even more useful. Some of the things mentioned are almost in the essential category, so it would be much appreciated if they are addressed in an update.

Could anyone from NI team please let us know if PLAYBOX will get feature updates (along with any bug fixes)?

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin
    edited April 2022
    Options

We cannot guarantee 100% there will be an update soon. However, the team behind the plugin has been gathering feedbacks and feature requests since it came out, so we're pretty optimistic regarding eventual future improvements.

• LoveEnigma
    edited April 2022
    Options

Yes, I can absolutely understand that. I just wanted to hear that the team is taking feedback and wishing to maintain PLAYBOX for some time to come. Since some of the requests are significant to making it more useful and will actually help from the "workflow" point of view, an update in future will be very much appreciated.

I for one have spent considerable amount of time in giving all the feedback so far.

Since it is on the expensive side, I wanted to get myself over the fence with this question. Always been an NI supporter. Going to order it shortly.

Thanks. :)

• Nico_NI
    Options

Playbox seems to be much appreciated among users, so there's no reason for its development to be dropped at this point 😉

• LoveEnigma
    edited April 2022
    Options

Hope so. I see there's still a lot of potential in PLAYBOX and it is probably the most interesting Kontakt library in the last few years. Looking forward to the future updates!

• LoveEnigma
    Options

One more idea: The PLAYBOX FX section is powerful enough to be converted into a dedicated FX plugin. I wonder if that's already thought by the team.

• Nico_NI
    Options
This discussion has been closed.