Komplete Kontrol | How to Fix: Cannot Hear Output of MIDI After Editing Piano Roll in FL Studio

Options
bigfishh
bigfishh Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Hi, I'm very new to DAWs, and virtual instruments so please bear with me. I'll try my best to explain the issue I'm having.

Scenario: I create a new pattern in FL and a new channel in the channel rack. For my new channel, I select the Komplete Kontrol plugin and the Impact Soundworks free version of Shreddage.

Expected Behavior: I right-click and open the piano roll for that instrument, enter some notes, hit the playback for the pattern, and can hear everything fine. I can stop the playback, edit the piano roll by entering new notes, and play back again. I should hear sound

Problem: If I stop playback and make any other changes to the piano roll, say for example adding new notes, there is no sound once I hit play again. In fact, once you first edit the piano roll, you should hear each key you select, but if I'm editing it after playing it back the first time, I don't hear any of the new notes as they're being added, and of course, playback of the entire pattern is muted.

What I have tried:

• Checking to see that the channel is not muted
  • Checking to see that the mixer track volume is not turned to 0
  • Making sure the notes I'm playing are in the playable range for the instrument
  • Editing FL settings for the plugin so that the MIDI input port matches the one in the global FL settings. (I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to MIDI ports and routing to Kontakt, so after this didn't work, I just reset everything back to normal)

Extra Information:

• I am using an Akai MPK Mini.
  • Although no sound comes out, the keys in the piano roll still light up.
  • While I could at first see some indication in the FL mixer that there is an output, once I edit the piano roll the mixer track associated with the channel (by default it's master) is dead. I also cannot hear anything from Komplete Kontrol if I just play on my MIDI without editing the piano roll.
  • Curiously, if I use Kontakt as the plugin instead of Komplete Kontrol and load the exact same instrument, I can edit the piano roll as many times as I want and everything works as expected.

I'd like to be able to use Komplete Kontrol as the plugin because you are able to choose more presets as well as use the console for the Shreddage instrument. If there is a way to still see all the presets and use the console amp with Kontakt, then I'll gladly just stick to using Kontakt.

I appreciate any help. Thank you.

Answers

• bigfishh
    bigfishh Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

So I haven't figured out why Komplete Kontrol handles the instrument like this, but I have figured out how to get the features I was wanting from KK in KP

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,095 mod
    Options

Strange issue, have you also tried to replace kk with another instrument after that issue happens. This should not happen the way you describe it. But I'm not a fl studio user so I can't try it myself. You could use kontakt 7 with the new browser maybe.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,737 mod
    Options

@bigfishh When you say "Checking to see that the mixer track volume is not turned to 0" do you mean the volume of the trqck of FL studio or the volume in Komplete Kontrol/Kontakt. Maybe this issue is related to that: KONTAKT's Volume Resets When I Press Play in my DAW (Kontakt loads in Komplete Kontrol)