Kontrol S61 mk3 not communicating with Mac Studio.

Options
dwbertoni
dwbertoni Member Posts: 12 Member
edited November 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

I'm stuck on the screen with the serial number.

I've used the USB cable provided by NI.

I've used a powered hub with the USB C cable provided by NI with a qualifying USB C cable, not help.

I've followed all of the guidance online.

If NI is going to institute a hardware recognition program, it needs to work. This is unacceptable. What is the fix?

I'm using Mac OS Venture 13.5.

Longtime (and now very frustrated) NI customer.

David

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,747 mod
    edited November 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

I presume you have Komplete Kontrol v3 loaded?

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 845 Guru
    Options

The controls/button issue has been discussed in numerous threads on this forum and is related to a USB-C issue with the Mac M1 and M2 processors.

For me with my setup the factory cable is hit or miss, sometimes more miss than hit. Usually another USB-C cable plugged into the keyboard's power connector is enough to make things right. I've also had good luck using only the Ableton Push 3 USB-C, but it's a fairly short cable and doesn't work with my new desk setup.

Regarding Hammers and Waves, did you purchase it from Skybox or NI?

Answers

• JTR
    JTR Member Posts: 2 Member
    Options

I would skip the powered hub and connect directly to the computer if it has a USB C port. That usually solves the issues. The hubs can sometimes prevent the software from recognizing hardware.

• dwbertoni
    Options

I went to the hub because the direct connection did not work.

• dwbertoni
    Options

Updating: Just provided the results of the NI tool to support. Will post if and when resolved.

• Kymeia
    Options

I presume you have Komplete Kontrol v3 loaded?

• Kymeia
    Options

Actually NI advice is to use a powered hub on Mac, at least during the initial setup stage, to ensure a stable connection

• dwbertoni
    Options

Which didn’t work.

• dwbertoni
    Options

Yes, of course.

• dwbertoni
    Options

Well, thanks to Kymela's comment, I decided to launch Komplete Kontrol (I misread Kymela's post as asking whether I installed it, not whether I launched it). Once I did, a firmware updater launched and it recognized the keyboard. But, the firmwware updater crashed several times during the updating process, and then instructed me to power every down and try again. I did so three additional times before the update finally went through. Now, everything seems to be working. Fingers crossed!

• dwbertoni
    Options

This is a nightmare. With the keyboard seemingly running, controls don't seem to work, buttons do nothing, and when I go to load one of my favorite instruments, Hammers and Waves, I get a big spinning beachball followed by "CLICK TO LOAD YOUR LICENSE FILE." My head is about to explode.

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 845 Guru
    Options

The controls/button issue has been discussed in numerous threads on this forum and is related to a USB-C issue with the Mac M1 and M2 processors.

For me with my setup the factory cable is hit or miss, sometimes more miss than hit. Usually another USB-C cable plugged into the keyboard's power connector is enough to make things right. I've also had good luck using only the Ableton Push 3 USB-C, but it's a fairly short cable and doesn't work with my new desk setup.

Regarding Hammers and Waves, did you purchase it from Skybox or NI?

• dwbertoni
    Options

I purchased H+W from NI.

• dwbertoni
    Options

Thanks! I’ll try this.