Hello i am buying a second hand complete control S49mk2

Jimmysarkis
Jimmysarkis Member Posts: 5 Newcomer
edited October 22 in Komplete Kontrol

The seller is not the original buyer and he doesn't know who registered the product before. If i buy this keyboard , would i be able to use it? or without registration i won't be able to download its software and drivers (am a Mac user) or able to download its packs? if i only have the serial number that is on the device and registered to someone else, what can i do ?thanks

Best Answer

Answers

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 945 Guru

I can only answer some of your questions:

1. I think you will be able to use it. But that's not an official promise; you need to suss this out for yourself.
    2. You should be able to download Komplete Kontrol software. Be sure to use 2.9.6. I'll let others advise you further on that.
    3. You can only use the full versions of Komplete if you have a license for it. See if you can find the original seller, and ask him if he would like to transfer his software to you.
    4. If you can't find the original seller or he says "no", then there are still some options:
      1. Buy Komplete 14. See the Native Instruments home page for prices. There is a sale going on.
      2. Another option is to get Komplete Start. That's free. https://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/bundles/komplete-start/
      3. If you own other virtual instruments such as from Heavyocity or Sonic Couture, they will work with the NKS standard. There are LOTS of virtual instrument and effects packages out there, so find out from those vendors. If they do, then they should work with your MK2.
      4. You will need Native Access for managing your Native Instruments licenses and for downloading anything that you buy from the store.
    5. Have a look at other instruments. The Native Instruments home page shows a lot of partners, but there are scads of options available to you.

Welcome aboard!

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,891 Expert

Even if he is not the original owner he should have been given the serial which is suppose to be transferred with the keyboard. If he does not have that and it's not been registered to him, sounds fishy to me.

One benefit of having the serial transfer thing, tho it can be a pain, is you can contact NI and report your hardware stolen which makes it not possible to register it again. Personally, if the seller did not have the license details to transfer i'd skip over it.

Last thing you want is to try save a penny only to find the keyboard cannot be registered to you because it is still registered to the original owner who reported it stolen...

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 945 Guru

Excellent points, Jester. I have bought backup NI devices from various pawnshops around town. Until about 6-8 months ago, we had one right near Full Sail University, a school where a lot of students would take courses in the creative arts.

The person who managed the pawnshop once told me that sometimes a Full Sail student would come in, pawn everything everything they owned, quit school, and ... do what, I don't know. The store would put everything on hold and get the police reports on stolen goods...and if it was clear, they'd resell it all. But yeah, I got good deals on a Machine Mikro, a Rig Kontrol, a flute, tenor sax, and some other stuff. I even bought a used Kore 2 from them, but about 5 minutes after the return period ended, NI decided to kill Kore. Sometimes the best deal is actually the one you pass up!

Thankfully, none of my pawn purchases ever came back as stolen.

But given what you say, OP might be better off just to get Komplete Start or consider buying one of the grades of K14.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 11,848 mod
    Answer ✓

@Jimmysarkis You just need to contact my colleagues here and they"ll work it out. https://bit.ly/NIsupport_RA

This discussion has been closed.