Session Strings Pro 2- how to get notes to flow together smoothly

Options
James Jennings
James Jennings Member Posts: 3 Member

I apologize if this is the wrong forum but I'm not sure if my issue is a problem with how I'm doing string arrangements, Kontakt, Session Strings, or my PC. In Cubase, I've created a string arrangement with 3 violins, viola, cello, and bass. For all notes, a new note starts at the same point that the previous one ended (ie. if the C note stops at the end of measure 10 a D note starts at the beginning of measure 11). I want the piece to flow smoothly from measure to measure, but what I get is a noticeable start with each measure. I'm not sure if I'm describing this correctly.

It's almost as if there is a lag between the notes. My question is- should I begin the start of the note prior to ending the previous note or is there some parameter in Kontakt that I need to change? I'd appreciate any input or ideas you may have. Thank you.

Best Answer

• James Jennings
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks so much to everyone for your help. I think some of this is that my understanding of string arrangement is limited. I'm finding that while a piano might change every note at the start of a measure, I think for strings to flow there needs to be some which glue the measures together. I think I found a good enough alternative for this project- using Emotive Strings for the violins and Session Strings for the bass, cello, and viola.

Answers

• Brad Yost
    Brad Yost Member Posts: 350 Pro
    Options

Are you using the "Legato" articulation?

Also, Legato serves best if the previous note(s) extends just a bit (16th - 32nd note length) into the next note(s).

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 845 Guru
    Options

I've had good success with adjusting the attack and release in the shape menu.

I'd really like to figure out how to get aftertouch to work with this library though, I'm still pretty new to NI and their software/hardware.

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 475 Pro
    Options

In my experience, depending on what you're trying to do, changing articulations via the keyswitches is a pretty important factor in getting the right feel and timing for different sections in your project. I've also found it's worth the time to adjust the note starts and ends so that it sounds more realistic and not just "programmed" parts.

• James Jennings
    Options

I've tried most of these approaches with minimal success. While I like the idea of using Session Strings having 6 separate instruments playing the parts, using something like Emotive Strings (not at my music workstation right now- I think that's the one) I have no problems. The notes can bump right up to each other and the parts just flow together. I think for this piece, I'll use Session Strings for the bass, cello, and viola, but Emotive Strings for the 3 violin parts. That should give me the best of both.

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 475 Pro
    Options

Although I've had a lot of success using Session Strings, I'm beginning to move more of my future work over to Soundpaint Adastra. There's just so much more flexibility in the way it handles the notes and the ability to combine parts from different string articulations or even other SP instruments just fits my workflow and ideas better.

• stephen24
    stephen24 Member Posts: 288 Pro
    Options

My recommendations:

within a phrase:

1. Always start the new note before you switch off the old. There needn't be any substantial overlap. If you're using "true legato", the author's programming should then take complete care of the transition.
    2. If not, adjust attack time and release time to crossfade the transition to your taste.
    3. The samples may themselves have a slow attack, and if this is too much, adjust the sample start to cut off the first few hundred milliseconds (if you're allowed to do this, the wave editor can adjust an entire sampleset with a few clicks). You can then have full control over the attack time (which sounds as though is your problem.
  • James Jennings
    Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks so much to everyone for your help. I think some of this is that my understanding of string arrangement is limited. I'm finding that while a piano might change every note at the start of a measure, I think for strings to flow there needs to be some which glue the measures together. I think I found a good enough alternative for this project- using Emotive Strings for the violins and Session Strings for the bass, cello, and viola.