timk
timk Member Posts: 21 Member
edited October 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this:

1. Installed S61 Mk3 s/w and registered, upgraded firmware etc etc
  2. Create new empty template in logic
  3. Load Kontakt 7 as the instrument - nothing else
  4. Load something - say Omnia, Arkhis - crashes Logic every time

If I load the same patch into Komplete Kontrol no crash and everything is fine.

If I load Kontakt 7 and have the MK3 turned off - it doesn't crash.

Tuen the MK3 on - all good, then I go to change a patch (either in the same instrument or change it) and Logic Crashes.

So seems to be something to do with Kontakt 7 natively in logic with the Mk3 turned on. If I run Kontakt 7 natively (i.e. not in Logic Host) then everything works fine too.

___

Did some further testing.

Rolled back to Kontakt 7.6.0 and same issues with crashing

Crashing doesn't happen with all libraries - just the more modern(?) ones - so Amati Viola works fine, as does Project Sam Symphobia

Other libraries such as Arkhis, Actions Strings 2, Electric Mint, Project Sam Lumina all cause Logic to crash.

Everything works fine with the keyboard turned off.

And final test, running Logic under Rosetta EVERYTHING WORKS FINE!

So feels like perhaps an Apple Silicon Issue?

____

Help!!!

MacBook Pro, M1 Max, Sonoma 14.0, 32Gb, Logic 10.7.9, Kontakt 7.6.1 (and 7.6.0)

Best Answers

• Nilo_NI
    Nilo_NI Customer Care Posts: 23 mod
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi all,

We were able to reproduce the crash. Removing the following user pref file resolved the issue.

Could you remove the .cs file found here:

/Users/user name/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.cs

• Nilo_NI
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi timk,

after updating logic to 10.8 we removed the .cs file and restarted logic without rebooting the keyboard mk3 and logic crashed again.

We then rebooted the keyboard mk3, removed the .cs file and restarted logic [setting the input and output port to DAW instead of main].

Now logic doesn't crash when loading a preset in Kontakt 7 with the keyboard mk3 connected.

So you need to:

• remove the .cs file again
    • reboot the KS3

Answers

• timk
    Options

Is nobody else experiencing crashes? Or is everyone running in Rosetta or not using Apple silicon macs?

Should I just contact NI Support?

• Nilo_NI
    Options

Hey Timk,

have you added Komplete Kontrol, Kontakt, NTKDaemon to your macOS full disk access list?

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/4415601248657

If the problem continues, you might want to contact support directly so that they can investigate.

• timk
    Options

Thanks Nilo

Tried that just now and still crashes every time I load up a new patch or instrument. I'll contact support see what they say

Best

T

• TapuRec
    TapuRec Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Hi Timk,

The same here.. I regret updating to Sonoma so fast... working on a M1 MacMini. Now I can load Kontakt 7 in Logic but as soon as I want to launch a large instrument, while having S61 MK3 connected, Logic immediately crashes. NI advised me to go back to Ventura. The weird thing is that if I use my old Yamaha P35 keyboard, I can load any instrument in Kontakt 7 and no crashes... (though I will not have aftertouch ;)

• timk
    Options

Glad it’s not just me. Things seem fine with Komplete Kontrol as the plugin even when loading Kontakt 7 - but the whole point of the MK3 for me was to just have native K7 running in Logic - hopefully they’ll find a fix.

I raised a support request but not heard anything yet….🙄

• mickeyl
    mickeyl Member Posts: 58 Helper
    Options

FWIW, can you post the traceback (diagnostic information) that appears in a dedicated window after the crash?

• timk
    Options

Hi, here you go - not sure it tells you that much, but I'm not a programmer..

• mickeyl
    mickeyl Member Posts: 58 Helper
    Options

I'm a software developer for a living and I read such crash reports almost daily (well not really, I'm not so bad)…, so I was just curious.

What this tells me is that it crashes in MAAudioEngine, which is a part of Logic Pro, not Kontakt 7 itself – however it crashes while trying to enumerate the control (parameter) names of the audio unit plugin, perhaps something wrong with the name of the parameter.

As you have already guessed it looks like something is misbehaving when Kontakt 7 is run under Logic, but only in Sonoma. Ventura and older systems seems to be fine. So I'm afraid this is going to be a tough one for the engineers, since it's not very easy to pinpoint who is to blame.

Did this computer come with Sonoma or did you upgrade from Ventura?

There's a (very) little chance something broke when Logic was analysing the audio unit, so perhaps try opening the plugin manager and force it to rescan all the plugins.

Another small chance might be to answer "no" to Logic's question whether you want to automatically assign the smart controls via the KONTROL S61 keyboard. You can change this in "Control Surfaces -> Settings -> MIDI Controller".

I'll leave the further analysis to the NI developers, but it's for sure an ugly one to find out.

• timk
    Options

Hi

Upgraded from Ventura - probably shouldn't have but heh ho.

It's interesting that K7 instruments running in Komplete Kontrol in Logic work fine - just not the native K7 AU plugin.

I've also tried resetting all my Logic Prefs (deleting the com.apple.logicxxxx files) and rescanning all the AUs. But still doesn't work.

So for now whilst the Devs investigate I'll just stick with loading the KK AU and using K7 instruments that way.

It does feel though it's linked to the S61 MK3 service too - as if I turn the keyboard off then native K7 plugin loads things quite happily.

• oobe79
    oobe79 Member Posts: 86 Helper
    Options

Well this sucks. I also run Logic Pro X, updated to macOS 14.0 (Sonoma) and just ordered my MK3 S61 yesterday (scheduled to arrive tomorrow). Is NI going to look at this bug, or do you think it will get pushed to Apple to fix (in a year)?

• timk
    Options

NI are investigating and have my error logs too. When you get your keyboard be good to do some testing and let the group know if you have the same problem as some of us do. 👍🏼

• Nilo_NI
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi all,

We were able to reproduce the crash. Removing the following user pref file resolved the issue.

Could you remove the .cs file found here:

/Users/user name/Library/Preferences/com.apple.logic.pro.cs

• timk
    Options

Great this seems to have done the trick. Logic recreates the file on startup, but so far I've had no repeat crashes of Kontakt 7 natively in Logic.

Thanks for your help!

• timk
    Options

On further investigation, once you restart Logic and load a new project we're back to the same crashing behaviour :-(

Also, whilst the first track loads ok, if you add a subsequent track it also breaks.

• Nilo_NI
    Answer ✓
    Options

Hi timk,

after updating logic to 10.8 we removed the .cs file and restarted logic without rebooting the keyboard mk3 and logic crashed again.

We then rebooted the keyboard mk3, removed the .cs file and restarted logic [setting the input and output port to DAW instead of main].

Now logic doesn't crash when loading a preset in Kontakt 7 with the keyboard mk3 connected.

So you need to:

• remove the .cs file again
    • reboot the KS3