Help Connecting USB Guitar Cable to Guitar Rig 7 on a Macbook

Options
gregduffman
gregduffman Member Posts: 4 Newcomer

Hello,

I just got a MacBook and installed GR7 on it. When I try and change the input source from the built in microphone to my USB guitar cable, there is no option for me to choose the USB cable and the only option i have is Built-In. I checked my sound settings and the cable is registering as being connected and I allowed GR7 full disk access and microphone access. I also have restarted the Macbook and still nothing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• gregduffman
    Answer ✓
    Options

I figured out the solution and figured I'd post it for anyone else looking for a solution to this problem.

What you have to do is make an Aggregate Device before you can use it. For whatever reason on Mac you are unable to plug a cable directly into USB and have it register unless you connect it to an output device.

On the top menu bar there will be a search icon that you will click and search for "Audio MIDI Setup"

Once you open that window it will show all your devices set up to be used. To add a new device that can be used in GR7 or any DAW click the "+" icon in the bottom left and select "Create Aggregate Device" and a new option will be made called "Aggregate Device"

With this new device selected you will select the input device and output devices that you want linked by clicking the checkboxes next to the devices you want to use. In my case I chose my Bandfuse USB cable for the input and Built-in Output for the output. After you select the devices, just rename the Aggregate to something you will recognize and it will be ready to use. Hope this helps!

Answers

• Glyphus86
    Glyphus86 Member Posts: 8 Newcomer
    Options

Hi

Is there any possibility that you could provide some photos of your equipment and the settings that you chose? What DAW do you use? That could be helpful.

• gregduffman
    Options

I'm using a USB to 1/4" jack cable plugged directly into a USB port on my Macbook. I'm not using any DAW but instead trying to use the standalone version of Guitar Rig 7. It's not an issue with GR7 not registering the cable itself because using the cable on my PC causes no issues. The Macbook also registers the cable as being connected under the system sound input settings and in that same menu when I play notes it registers. But when I go into GR7 there is no option for me to pick USB as the device. The only option is Built-in which is my microphone. If you could let me know what pictures I could take that would be helpful let me know and I can take them

• gregduffman
    Options

I will also add that I am able to use the cable no problem in GarageBand. That seems to be the only app that I'm able to choose a different input device with

• gregduffman
    Answer ✓
    Options

I figured out the solution and figured I'd post it for anyone else looking for a solution to this problem.

What you have to do is make an Aggregate Device before you can use it. For whatever reason on Mac you are unable to plug a cable directly into USB and have it register unless you connect it to an output device.

On the top menu bar there will be a search icon that you will click and search for "Audio MIDI Setup"

Once you open that window it will show all your devices set up to be used. To add a new device that can be used in GR7 or any DAW click the "+" icon in the bottom left and select "Create Aggregate Device" and a new option will be made called "Aggregate Device"

With this new device selected you will select the input device and output devices that you want linked by clicking the checkboxes next to the devices you want to use. In my case I chose my Bandfuse USB cable for the input and Built-in Output for the output. After you select the devices, just rename the Aggregate to something you will recognize and it will be ready to use. Hope this helps!