Keybed question for those that have the MK3 (and previously owned an MK2 or MK1).

Options
Navi
Navi Member Posts: 4 Member
edited October 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

I’m unable to go to any music stores due to illness, which unfortunately means that I have to rely a lot on reviews and user accounts when I’m buying new hardware rather than being able to try things out myself before I buy.

My question would be for those of you who are receiving their MK3 keyboards but who have previously owned the MK1 or MK2 - how do you find the feel of the keybed? Does it feel a lot different? I’ve seen a few people say it feels more expressive, while others say it feels a bit heavier/stiffer to play….I’m someone who plays with a very light touch and can’t always get a comfortable feel to the velocity setting (that works for me) on the MK1, but I’ve found a workaround using “Soft 3” and midi modifiers in Cubase when needed for certain instruments. 

Still, I’d love to hear your feedback! 

Edited to clarify: I’m asking for the S49/S61 keybed since my MK1 61 key is my current go to, but I’m interested to hear how the S88 fares too! 

Tagged:

Comments

• mattse
    mattse Member Posts: 17 Member
    Options

Hey @Navi, is this for the 88 key model (ie. weighted keys) or the other models (ie. semi-weighted)?

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,305 Guru
    edited October 2023
    Options

I have owned S61Mk1, S49MK2, S88MK2... just got a S61MK3 yesterday.

Not enough time for any deep commentary... but I would be confident saying that my immediate impression is that it feels very smooth and responsive. I am confident that it will exceed the satisfaction I had with previous S49 & S61 offerings.

I was only medium-happy with the feel of my S88MK2... a bit heavier than my preference.

• Tomboman
    Tomboman Member Posts: 50 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options

--> nightjar:

Sounds like you are not a piano player and prefer the smaller keyboards with the half weighted keys

• Navi
    Navi Member Posts: 4 Member
    Options

@mattse Gah! I forgot to specify that! Thank you - I’ll edit my post to say that, for me personally, I’m asking for the S49/S61 keybed, but I’m interested to hear how the S88 fares too! 

@nightjar This is helpful to hear, thank you! 

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,305 Guru
    Options

No... I own other weighted 88-key keyboards that I prefer for their keybed feel.

• jaysunice
    jaysunice Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
    Options

I was classically trained. I’ve played a lot of weighted boards but not the MK1 or MK2. I recently took delivery of a MK3. In the house, I currently have a Roland A-88 Mk2, Yamaha p-515, and Yamaha p-115.

The action and feel on the S88 MK3 is great. Not amazing and not the best, but certainly good enough for even a primary board. It’s definitely a bit stiff but not as much as say the Arturia. I’d be happy composing on it, arranging, producing, etc. That said, if I’m ranking all the 88 key boards I have in my house, I’d put the S88 last or tied with the P-115. While the P-115 feels somewhat cheaper and lighter, it’s also a bit easier to play. Something about the squishy nature of the S88 doesn’t feel natural, but I’ve grown accustomed to that on controller keyboards, and I would say the S88 is one the best for that specific niche.

HOWEVER, less than an hour into playing my S88, I already have a noisy and rattling key — apparently this was a thing with the Mk2, so I’m returning it.

• frankspappa
    frankspappa Member Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I’ve had a S61 MK1 andI I like the keybed on my S49 MK3 a lot. Great quality feel, and very fast, which is nice for beat-making.

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 527 Pro
    Options

From the beginning I was not very happy with the keyboard action on my S49 MK2. It's nice to hear they improved that on the MK3 versions. But I now have the S88 MK3, so a little late for me....

• Mark Oxley
    Mark Oxley Member Posts: 168 Advisor
    Options

I don't own a s61 MK3 but I did play one for around an hour at my local music store. The action felt pretty similar to my S61 mk2.