How can I get my stradivari violin to stay in sync with my accompaniment?

Suzanne de Montigny
Suzanne de Montigny Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
edited March 2022 in Kontakt

Hi. I'm new here. I bought the Stradivari voilin program because of its versatility. But I'm having the same difficulty that I've had with all other string patches. Even though it's quantized, it sounds as though it's slightly behind the beat but only in certain areas. What can I do to fix this? It's driving me nuts. I suspect it has something to do with the touch sensitivity on my Casio PX 3100. Or it could be the attack is prolonged sometimes but not always? I'm crazy about strings and most of my music contains strings. My DAW is Garage Band.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• AllsWell
    AllsWell Member Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓

Perfectly quantized sample libraries often sound delayed because the nature of acoustic instruments is that there is sound before you actually hit the transient. In the case of legato generally the "legato" portion of a transition takes place before a beat and the note you're aiming for lands on the beat.

A virtual instrument can't really predict in advance what you're going to do so naturally there will be delays, in the way that when you play a new MIDI note on the beat the sample library will play the legato transition first and then the actual note will land after the beat. Your options are to move all MIDI data back a little bit to compensate (but this sucks), OR (the usual method) use your DAW to apply a MIDI (or sample?) playback offset (i can't remember the exact terminology). This function is usually located somewhere on the track in your DAW and is editable per track to compensate an amount of milliseconds for any sample library you might need to adjust the playback of. You may be able to find tutorials for Garage Band. I do not use Garage Band so i cannot tell you but the theory of how sample libraries work applies to all sample libraries and all DAWs

This is for Cubase, i know that's not immediately helpful, but this is the gist of it.

Answers

• AllsWell
    AllsWell Member Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓

Perfectly quantized sample libraries often sound delayed because the nature of acoustic instruments is that there is sound before you actually hit the transient. In the case of legato generally the "legato" portion of a transition takes place before a beat and the note you're aiming for lands on the beat.

A virtual instrument can't really predict in advance what you're going to do so naturally there will be delays, in the way that when you play a new MIDI note on the beat the sample library will play the legato transition first and then the actual note will land after the beat. Your options are to move all MIDI data back a little bit to compensate (but this sucks), OR (the usual method) use your DAW to apply a MIDI (or sample?) playback offset (i can't remember the exact terminology). This function is usually located somewhere on the track in your DAW and is editable per track to compensate an amount of milliseconds for any sample library you might need to adjust the playback of. You may be able to find tutorials for Garage Band. I do not use Garage Band so i cannot tell you but the theory of how sample libraries work applies to all sample libraries and all DAWs

This is for Cubase, i know that's not immediately helpful, but this is the gist of it.