Feedback - Komplete Kontrol 3.0

Comments

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 4,628 mod
    edited October 2023

No one was asking for though

Speak for yourself, plenty of us were asking for this too. KK3 does show more results than the old version, a lot more if you drag across the centre slider, however it could show even more if it was also resizable like Kontakt's browser is. Glad to hear that is on the cards.

• Kymeia
    edited October 2023

Not sure, I guess it's possible, although they are supposed to have the same architecture. I wonder if this is about whether it is distributing load correctly (or allowing the host to do that) between performance and efficient cores? There is a bit of a tradeoff with this in relation to host buffers, a high buffer can actually reduce performance with these processors as it's not demanding enough to make MacOs shunt the load to performance cores, a lower buffer pushes it more in the right direction, but maybe the different mix of those 2 types of core is making the behaviour different in the M2?

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,888 Expert

And now you see only 4 instruments in the browser to select from tho and have these segmented columns instead of a simple vertical scroll list, terrible to scroll fast for a name!

Considering now things are on different panels and tabs, how does it end up that overall less info is displayed than before? It's things like this that are just mind boggling in the decision to do it that way in the first place.

If the list was just a panel on the side of the window like before then ALL that space could be instruments and that would instantly make all of that more usable but I don't think anything like that will improve at all. There are so many things listed for the roadmap I fear that would be a solid 8 years of work.

• Kymeia

True, I don’t see why the icons need to be so big either

• dogbreath11
    dogbreath11 Member Posts: 73 Member

i suggest ni put this to a poll and go with whatever outcome wins the vote

1. stick with old lay out

2. go with new lay out

ill start.... i vote 1

• Vagus
    Vagus Member Posts: 448 Guru
    edited October 2023

Someone on the design team thought the scaling looked cool?

Seriously though - I'm adamant there's a way for the plugin and presets to be displayed. If only someone had already done this....

Given the new UX, I'm sure you could even allow the tags to be listed, so you can change them whilst using the instrument, even allowing the brands/sound types/characters/ to all be displayed at once with movable slider to allow user choice in display... I don't know, someting like:

I'm not saying Steinberg are perfect, and their Mediabay is not based on vectors, as far as I can tell - but if a dinosaur like Steinberg can reinvent its mediabay, I'm sure NI could do something similar.

And still have presets listed on the right.

• Kymeia
    edited October 2023

Exactly, that would be ideal. Although list size also needs to be decoupled from plugin size

• Vagus

I'm sure it could be - because the menu bar of KK expands depending on the plugin side - so in theory, you could define a set width column as another display.

Much like this is defined as horisontal, you could define a vertical right justified pane.

But, in more apparent honesty, I'm not a coder, so I can't and won't try to pretend to know any better than NI.

But that would be awesome.

• Vagus
    edited October 2023

A quick bodge job, but for me, this would be amazing - with the plugin size defining the app window size, as it does now - but just with something very much more useful. I'll stop now.

This way, you coul keep the K7 browser (which I think is excellent), and have room for longer names.

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,322 Guru
    edited October 2023

Here's my rough mock-up of browsing in "KK 3.1" after you click on a Lo-Fi Glow preset... every instrument would have a simplified horizontal panel that has this size/aspect ratio with NKS2 assigned macros and an on-screen keyboard to dink around on even with no hardware attached.

Both MK2 and MK3 users can enjoy power of NKS2 on desktop!

And if you click on the simplified horizontal instrument panel.. only then would it open another window with full sized or legacy instrument window for full editing.

• dogbreath11
    dogbreath11 Member Posts: 73 Member
  • MyStudioOne
    MyStudioOne Member Posts: 282 Pro
    edited October 2023

At some point you guys making these decisions about software developments have to start thinking of all of us as a development RESOURCE.

FACT: Every user who has voiced their disapproval of 3.0 also has a vested interest in seeing NI succeed. We would love nothing more than to see every developer get NKS certified because it makes our user experience better and more streamlined.

You keep saying that those on this forum are just a small yet more vocal segment of who you are trying to cater to. But I ask you who else's opinion has more merit/value than someone who creates templates for 3rd party plugins which then work perfectly with your keyboards and software at no cost to you? You have a team of free software engineers working hard to make everones experience better. And who cares if they make few buck doing it. They deserve it and more. They aren't your aggressors, they are your best friends. Or others (like myself) who create content singing the praises of the Komplete Kontrol ecosystem and teach people how to use it effectively. Are these supporters really that unimportant to you that you are willing to alienate them all? I don't mean to be rude but if that is the case, it is beyond short-sighted. Hundreds of thousands of user hours (if not millions) spent using KK and all the while giving you free advice on simple ways to improve the software but you could never be bothered to listen until now. And if you did listen, you didnt bother to act upon it which is no better. WE ARE ON YOUR SIDE. How about being on our side for a change and working with us for the benefit of everyone? Would it kill you to give something back to the community?

I have said enough on this subject and I will stop now. Forgive me for ranting again and again but I am quite passionate about Komplete Kontrol and where it goes from here and I am also secretly dying to buy the S88MK3 (my wife will kill me! Lol). After all, Komplete Kontrol (warts and all) has been the cornerstone of my workflow since it was released. I am sure I am not alone on that front.

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 1,286 mod

I'm not after anyone's forgiveness, but I'll continue to be very clear about resizing.

By far the most common feedback we heard was frustration with the inability to properly resize the hosted content. This was the highest priority, which we've now resolved.

The next most common was the ability to see more, particularly when browsing presets. As other users have noted, you can already drag the bar across to view more presets, and I'll repeat what has already been said earlier: we're now set up to implement the same browser resizing as Kontakt 7 as a next step. I believe this directly addresses your feedback. Could you confirm?

And thirdly, there is drag out resizing, which as you've agreed, is the least important of the issues.

I've been a proud member of this team for 1.5 years now, during which time we've not only delivered otherwise overdue support and maintenance features such as VST3 and Apple Silicon (both exponentially more complex as a host within a host), but undergone a major tech transition precisely so that we can accommodate a whole bunch of user requests we previously couldn't. Resizing, as I mentioned several times earlier in this thread, wasn't remotely possible with the older Komplete Kontrol -> the user interface was built of fixed bitmaps. We've transitioned to a Qt powered user interface, which allows us to do a bunch of scalable stuff. Starting with the priorities as laid out above.

I can't change your years and years past, but I'll continue to explain the recent prioritizations, so that you may understand why. This is quite different from anything dishonest.

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 1,286 mod

We've tested on a variety, including that. I'm wondering if it's content specific even.

This discussion has been closed.