Feedback - Komplete Kontrol 3.0

Comments

• B.Minor
    B.Minor Member Posts: 180 Advisor
    edited October 2023

Aside from finally unIocking currently blocked tagging features in KK V3.X, I can only hope that "category" filtering (rather than pre-selecting the "vendor" only) will also return to the KK functionality, exactly as it was implemented in V2.X. This was a big "plus" compared to pure tagging, as it was a very efficient and fast way to display your collection of instruments belonging to a particular type (e.g. "E-Pianos") by one click+scroll (in the application as well as on the MK2 keyboard).

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 4,628 mod

I think categories are useful but I can see why NI wanted to do away with the dependencies on additional json files to create categories, it's really clunky. I would rather they come up with a better way to categorise plugins.

• B.Minor
    B.Minor Member Posts: 180 Advisor
    edited October 2023

I'd fully agree to your statement if NI would be really willing to implement all those goodies in their final tagging and database concept.

In V2.X for example, when placing meta/category/color/shortcut files in the correct places (and most of all in the correct folder levels), you could even see your customized vendor/category information (including your customized icons for each type) in the MK2 display, even in the one-shot and loop menus.

As mentioned already, this is what has made Komplete Kontrol so great; it would really be a pity to lose that all, only because a new keyboard has been released.

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 1,286 mod

Well said.

Another key difference: Komplete Kontrol 3 is not a subscription based offer.

• Matthew_NI

It's an easy and cheap shot, but it's not a truthful one.

The idea that we used to be musicians, are no longer is simply untrue. Almost all of us are, in addition to the jobs we hold to bring products to market, support and maintain them beyond.

After all, who is this suppose masse of users if not other musicians buying and using these products to make music? Do not confuse certain power or feature usage correlates with being more or less of a musician. Lots of features can be important to lots of people, that doesn't change the fact that no feature exists in a silo, but in relation to all other features, hence the need to prioritize needs and want against one another.

"In the end, users use what you give them" ... I can assure you that in all my years of product development, this is decidedly untrue, particularly when the market is filled with competitive alternatives.

• Matthew_NI

Regarding timelines... hardware takes a lot longer to develop. There are many aspects of industrial, mechanical, electrical design, as well as material and component sourcing and validation, and all manner of stages (e.g Engineering Validation Testing, Design Validation Testing, Production Validation Testing), along the way, much of which precedes software development, some of it by necessity.

1. probably won't break for years to come, or may break is different to will break
    2. i don't believe this to be true
    3. yes, it will. it's also receiving continual development
  • dogbreath11
    dogbreath11 Member Posts: 73 Member

you can continue to make as many excuses as you like but i am one of the many disgruntled customers and unless the experience is returned to how it was ill be looking for an alternative work flow and taking mk3 keyboard off of my christmas list.

its pretty obvious from all of the comments that not many people are happy with the new software.

if its not broke, dont fix it

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 4,628 mod
    edited October 2023

To be fair I don't see these as excuses but explanations. Look everyone here knows I am a firm advocate for NKS and for users to have the tools to author their own and have been well before this. However if Matt says this will happen then I am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt, while being equally determined to help make sure it does. Above all I don't want NKS users to feel powerless, we do have power and we can use it to influence development.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,407 Expert
    edited October 2023

My comment was about who is “at the top of the chain” now, as I stated, not about “all of you”. Unless you are all on top, investors putting money but also working materially on the things created.

In any case…got it…I will avoid my “easy and cheap shots” from now. They are clearly useless. Not having many years of experience in product development, I’m not able to understand decisions that are clearly so well thought and not “cheap” that everyone is agreeing with them

• Matthew_NI

It's pretty obvious from all the comments here that not many of the people here are happy with the new software. In quite a few cases, those same people have gone to Reddit, VI Control, and elsewhere, as is their right to express oneself. That isn't the same thing though as not many of the Komplete Kontrol user-base in it's entirety.

I'm not making excuses. I'm explaining why decisions were made and what to anticipate next. I don't expect the answers to be universally well received, but they (and y'all) deserve to be heard, and understood.

• Matthew_NI

Much appreciated. All we can do is follow through as stated. And thank you all for keeping us honest.

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 2,079 Expert
    edited October 2023

@dogbreath11

"If it's not broke, don't fix it."

This is probably the most ironic statement I have heard yet in this thread as it felt like about 98% of ALL Komplete Kontrol users (prior to Oct 12, 2023) did nothing but complain about how broke KK 2.9.4 was and "When are we going to get this feature and that feature" and on and on for what feels like years now.

And then finally a new version DOES appear (and yes I realize that v3 is heavily flawed and broken here in the early going here) but many of these same users can't be even the slightest bit optimistic about that either.

It appears that no matter what they try to do - NI is in a hard-core no-win situation here.

VP

• Thusis
    Thusis Member Posts: 37 Newcomer

And make sure that your Managers and Investor will hear adequately about our feedbacks!

• dogbreath11

i do feel powerless. as ive said previously, ive spent thousands of pounds on ni software/hardware and im being forced down a road i never bought into. im a power user of komplete kontrol and invested into it because i was happy with the work flow, now its being chamged into something totally unrecognizable and not what i paid for, and im not just talking about the komplete keyboard mk2, im talking about the thousands of pounds of third party libraries ive bought. i dont even use those kontakt libraries directly in kontakt because the whole browsing experience is worse than komplete kontrol. it would of been better if kontakt adopted the kk2 browser instead of kk3 adopting kontakts browser.

i think the solution to this is to always offer kk2 to its users and continue to update it along with kk3 for the new users. massive is still a more popular product than massive x. massive was industry standard and used by the whiole music industry and massive x went under the radar. put kk2 back in native access as a stand alone product instead of it being a legacy product

• dogbreath11

its not ironic because i never thought it was broken. if other people thought it was broken then ni could of updated it instead of re-designing the whole thing and taking away what was great about it. what is ironic is that ni's attempts to fix a 'broken' product totally destroyed it

This discussion has been closed.