Comments

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    Options

Maybe this is better.

• LuisEsteban
    LuisEsteban Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Thanks, I did try the demo. In my humble opinion, almost.

• mickeyl
    mickeyl Member Posts: 58 Helper
    Options

Very unlikely. NI is right in the middle of a very painful transition of their code bases to include support for Apple Silicon, resizable UIs, HIDPI, and other platform features. Absynth – being a product they acquired – contains probably even more technical debt than their own products. As much as I like it for some special sounds, I'm pretty sure it's not coming back.

Plasmonic, while being written from the same original developer, has a completely different sound aesthetic than Absynth.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,792 mod
    edited October 2023
    Options

It is fantastic, one of my favourite plugins, but different ball park really as it is a physically modelling synth. The closest synth I know of that is architecturally similar to Absynth is the free Crystal plugin which does have similar envelopes, granular synthesis, even similar patch breeding, and was certainly very much inspired by Absynth - although not as powerful

The developer of Crystal then went on to develop Omnisphere and there is also a lot of Crystal in Omnisphere so that also has some things in common with Absynth and a lot more

Personally I do not think it is too late for NI to resurrect Absynth - I really think they made a big mistake dropping it. For one surround is becoming more and more accessible to the masses and it is one of the few synth plugins that does surround well. A modernised Absynth would be a great addition to NI's portfolio

• Magic Russ
    Magic Russ Member Posts: 19 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options

Crystal, which has been known as "the poor man's Absynth" for 20 years has a lot of similarities but is not quite the same. There are quite a few things that one can do that the other can't.

I'm one of many who would like to see Absynth come back, but it isn't something I would expect at this point.