How to achieve a slide without sustain pedal with Scarbee MM Bass?

rcortesim
rcortesim Member Posts: 5 Newcomer
I'm using Scarbee MM Bass for the first time, and am trying to learn how to use its articulations. Lots of questions, but this one deals specifically with slides.

I already have a midi track written, so only need to add some slides on the fly (without re-recording the notes). I should add that all slide starts and ends are occurring on the same string, so we don't have to cover that nuance.

I've been able to simulate a slide by drawing in a pitchbend, but I think I can get a more natural sound by using CC#64. I tried assigning a switchkey to #64 and writing in that articulation for the notes, but that doesn't seem to work.

Is there a way to assign CC#64 to an automation and draw it in, rather than use pitchbend? Pitchbend has that mod-wheel sound to it, which isn't what I want.

Thanks in advance!

Best Answer

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,022 mod
    Answer ✓

No, you can definitely get the slide even if you manually draw notes in piano roll, without ever playing them manually, as long as the rules of triggering the slide are obeyed.

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert
    What Daw and OS?  Any DAW with MIDI editing should allow you to draw in Sustain.
  • rcortesim
    Logic Pro X and iMac 10.13.6

I hadn't tried Sustain, as I assumed I would use that if I don't want Slide.
  • EvilDragon
    Sustain pedal must be pressed for slides to work, and notes need to overlap. This is explained in the manual for MM Bass.
  • rcortesim
    Sustain pedal must be pressed for slides to work, and notes need to overlap. This is explained in the manual for MM Bass.
    I understand that pressing the sustain pedal when playing a note is in the manual. My question is more about alternative ways of achieving that, which might not be in the manual. As an example, there are no directions in the manual for drawing in any articulations, but many can be. 

So, is it my understanding that a slide can only be achieved while recording a note, and never once a note has been written? 

Speaking of the manual, is this illustration accurate?

• EvilDragon
    Answer ✓

No, you can definitely get the slide even if you manually draw notes in piano roll, without ever playing them manually, as long as the rules of triggering the slide are obeyed.

• rcortesim

Very odd. I clicked "Yes" to indicate that your previous comment answered my question, and now the comment is gone.

On a side note, I posted that screenshot of the manual's illustration for keyswitches because it seems to have a typo. "C string (C0)" and "B string (B0)" should be E string and G string, respectively. Or am I missing something?

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

Appears the "Accepted Answer" comment gets moved up the food chain and listed as "Best Answer" directly under your original post...an unexpected new feature!!!

• rcortesim

Quick and definitive. I think I like that. Thanks for clarifying.