Inst. FX filter creates popping, group FX filter doesn't

Reid115
Reid115 Member Posts: 47 Member
edited March 2022 in Kontakt

Here's a screen recording of the issue:

I have two filters, both the exact same. One is on the group FX, one is on the main FX. When I use the group one, it sounds fine. When I use the instrument one, there's a noticeable popping sound both when I press the key down and when I release the key. I have to increase the release time to 100+ ms to get the popping sound to go away. It also doesn't makes sense why the release time would affect the pop from the key press (as opposed to attack). Any explanation?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,023 mod
    Answer ✓

Effects have something called "ringout time", and this means how long the effect is processed after no audio has been sent to it to process. This is why envelope release time helps in reducing the popping sound. Group FX chain is pretty specific since it's polyphonic, so voice running time affects things happening in it, which is not the case in insert FX.

Answers

• EvilDragon
    EvilDragon Moderator Posts: 1,023 mod
    Answer ✓

Effects have something called "ringout time", and this means how long the effect is processed after no audio has been sent to it to process. This is why envelope release time helps in reducing the popping sound. Group FX chain is pretty specific since it's polyphonic, so voice running time affects things happening in it, which is not the case in insert FX.