s88 not playing Komplete Kontrol instruments Logic Pro

Options
Headybiz
Headybiz Member Posts: 13 Member

all software is up to date

When I open a saved project in Logic Pro none of the tracks with instruments loaded from the Komplete Kontrol plugin will play from my s88 keyboard. the keyboard is recognized by logic and by the KK plugin. the midi regions of these tracks will play back, and the keyboard keys will light up according to what is being played. however the keyboard itself WILL NOT PLAY a single one of these instrument tracks, regardless of the instrument or software loaded within KK plugin. If I create a new track with the exact same instrument loaded from the KK plugin, it will play just fine. but I've tweaked the others and do not want to do all that work again. I have ideas still to record I don't want to be drawing in parts in midi with my cursor.

I have restarted both logic and my computer several times. NKTdaemon and NIhostintegration are both allowed login access. someone please help!!

Best Answer

• Headybiz
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Jeremy_NI I was trying to upload a short video I took with my iPhone to illustrate the issue better, but .MOV files are not supported and I'm not quite savvy enough to know how to save with a different file extension (I couldn't find the option under export in QuickTime Player). If it would be helpful to future users encountering this issue I will happily share it if you can tell me how.

However! In desperation it occurred to me to simply unplug the USB cable at the s88's usb port, then plug it back in... and this seems to have solved the issue. Including the latency issue! LOL

So as with many electronics issues the SOLUTION seems to be:

unplug it, then plug it back in!

I'm sorry I didn't try this first and could've saved you all the trouble. Thanks for trying to help

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,749 mod
    edited August 2023
    Options

@Headybiz Do Logic and Komplete Kontrol have full disk access? How to Enable Full Disk Access on macOS

Is it a M1 or Intel mac? Could you reproduce in a small Logic project, zip it and post it here? I'll enable you to post links!

• Headybiz
    Options

Hi yes they have full disk access, it's an M1 ultra. Give me a sec on the logic zip, thanks for the help

• Headybiz
    Options

The issue is I can't do a small project bc this problem only occurs in previously saved projects (none of which are particularly small) - once I load a new track and new instance of Komplete Kontrol the keyboard works fine. If I duplicate the problem tracks, no change: the keyboard still won't play that duplicated instance of KK. This problem only began recently within the last two weeks I don't know what started it exactly.

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,783 mod
    edited September 2023
    Options

Have you tried Logic with Rosetta enabled? Just a hunch but this might be a migration problem if these are older projects made before KK switched to VST3

• Jeremy_NI
    edited September 2023
    Options

@Headybiz I think @Kymeia is on to something here. Were those projects made on another system (and not M1) and can you recreate the issue with a project started on your M1? Have you tried to open the problematic projects in Logic in Rosetta mode? How to Open Your DAW Using Rosetta

• Headybiz
    Options

@Kymeia @Jeremy_NI

Some projects were made while I was still using Logic in Rosetta. Yet at least one project experiencing this problem was made after I switched over to native mode, once all my software and 3rd party plugins became M1 compatible/native a couple months ago. Additionally this problem began only just before I posted this question, months after I'd already been running Logic in native and worked on all these projects many times without this issue.

I just tried running in Rosetta, and for some projects this restored the keyboards ability to play the VSTS - but with glitching/shorting out as the CPU is now spiking even at a buffer of 128 samples (these projects aren't even remotely close to a size that my 2019 intel MacBook Pro couldn't handle, the whole point of the M1 Ultra is to be able to easily handle projects several times the size of the ones I'm dealing with currently, which it was doing in native mode until recently). For other projects running in rosetta changed nothing and the problem persisted.

Also seems related: since posting this question I have suddenly begun to experience significant latency playing the s88 when it does play, for both NI VSTs and as midi controller for others (i.e. Serum), even on lowest I/O buffer size setting 32 samples, both in native and Rosetta modes; I recently tried to record a take on a track at 80 BPM and every input was a full eighth note late!

Could this be a hardware issue? Are there firmware updates for the s88?

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@Headybiz The S88 hardware does not affect audio performance, it's only a controller. What soundcard are you using and have you tried with the onboard soundcard of your mac? Do you get the same performance issues?

For the initial issue, where are your Kontakt libraries installed? On an external hard drive? What format is that drive?

• Headybiz
    Options

@Jeremy_NI I'm not sure where I lost you, as I do understand that the s88 is a midi controller. I'm simply trying to describe that no sound is produced by the keyboard when playing VSTs through the Komplete Kontrol plugin on tracks created and saved from previous sessions, despite the fact that sound is still produced in playback of the midi notes that have been recorded on that track, and the fact that the keyboard played these tracks just fine until like two weeks ago. I'm not sure what other soundcard there is except the one on my Mac so I assume that is the one being used. And the libraries are all installed on the Mac in whatever default location they are installed in by the NI installer. Also the issue I'm having affects Komplete Kontrol and all NI VSTs within it, not just Kontakt. I haven't changed anything besides making whatever updates became available through Native Access, and I'm not even sure that there were any recently.

• Headybiz
    Answer ✓
    Options

@Jeremy_NI I was trying to upload a short video I took with my iPhone to illustrate the issue better, but .MOV files are not supported and I'm not quite savvy enough to know how to save with a different file extension (I couldn't find the option under export in QuickTime Player). If it would be helpful to future users encountering this issue I will happily share it if you can tell me how.

However! In desperation it occurred to me to simply unplug the USB cable at the s88's usb port, then plug it back in... and this seems to have solved the issue. Including the latency issue! LOL

So as with many electronics issues the SOLUTION seems to be:

unplug it, then plug it back in!

I'm sorry I didn't try this first and could've saved you all the trouble. Thanks for trying to help

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@Headybiz Thanks for the update! Most important is that it's all working again!