Kontakt 7 Search not working in Logic Pro > triggering Logic key commands

Options
justincarter
justincarter Member Posts: 4 Newcomer

Hi

I've just purchased Komplete 14 solely because of the improved Kontakt7 features, having this issue with Kontakt 7, when i load it in Logic Pro and try to use the search feature (one of the main reasons for upgrading in the first place) it just triggers Logic Pros key commands.

Does anyone know of a fix for this?

Or how to disable Logic Key Commands? (I'm pretty sure this can't be done unless I manually delete them all) but also doesn't seem to make a difference when I do.

I've searched online and see others have this issue as well but no solution, I'm also waiting for a response from Native Instruments, so hopefully soon, but in the meantime - if anyone knows how to get this to work properly?

Any help appreciated!

Thank you! justin

Best Answer

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 3,785 mod
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Unfortunately Logic is one of the only hosts I know of that doesn't have an option to stop it stealing keyboard focus from plugin windows. Many hosts do this for some plugins but most allow you some control over it as obviously there are some situations when the user needs key commands to be picked up by the host, and other times when you need them to go to the plugin.

There is some discussion of possible fixes here but really Apple need to add a toggle to enable keyboard commands to be consistently passed to the plugins when you want them to, and to Logic when you want them to go there. This doesn't just affect NI plugins (although that doesn't mean NI couldn't also do something to reduce this happening and it looks from that thread that they have been)

Answers

• Kymeia
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Unfortunately Logic is one of the only hosts I know of that doesn't have an option to stop it stealing keyboard focus from plugin windows. Many hosts do this for some plugins but most allow you some control over it as obviously there are some situations when the user needs key commands to be picked up by the host, and other times when you need them to go to the plugin.

There is some discussion of possible fixes here but really Apple need to add a toggle to enable keyboard commands to be consistently passed to the plugins when you want them to, and to Logic when you want them to go there. This doesn't just affect NI plugins (although that doesn't mean NI couldn't also do something to reduce this happening and it looks from that thread that they have been)

• justincarter
    edited August 2023
    Options

Thank you Kymeia for this thread to Logicprohelp - i'll watch both and hope that NI has a fix soon. I've also submitted it to NI as a bug.

Thanks!

• Kymeia
    edited August 2023
    Options

I don't think it can be entirely fixed without Logic also fixing it though. It's sometimes necessary that plugins don't have keyboard focus, such as when you want the host to respond to key commands, so the only real fix would be Logic making it possible to switch between host or plugin focus

• ComposerBell
    ComposerBell Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

This makes absolutely no sense though, Every other version of Kontakt does not have this issue (I have K5 and 6 still installed on my system). They both still have a search function that I'm able to type into with no issue. In fact, I'm loading K6 on everything still BECAUSE I can type in the search field! This means it has to be some issue with the K7 plugin, not just Apple not giving developers the control to do this.

• justincarter
    Options

Just to kind of close this ... no additional responses needed in my case:

from NI Support

The issue you describe is known (KT-7508) and my colleagues in development are aware of it.

Please understand that I can't provide further information when a fix for this issue can be expected.The issue you describe is known (KT-7508) and my colleagues in development are aware of it.

Please understand that I can't provide further information when a fix for this issue can be expected.

They refunded my purchase in full as it was unusable for me. For me the upgrade to Kontakt 7 was the search function.

Hope this helps others.

• Kymeia
    edited December 2023
    Options

There is, K7 has zoom, the resize is what often triggers this