How do I add Kontakt 7 to Ableton 11

Options
Brettannese
Brettannese Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
edited August 2023 in Kontakt

Hello, I'm a composer and musician who has been attempting to implement the vast library of Native Instruments into some of my recordings, and I'm so very confused as to how to add this plug-in to my Ableton software so that I can start recording music. Watching some videos, there seems to be several steps regarding file path management, but I can't seem to be able to open Kontakt 7 on Ableton. Please help, I spent almost $600 on NI software and I just want to make music with it.

Also, if anyone has further info into a customer service contact with NI, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks NI Community!

Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,311 Expert
    Options

First thing to know: are you familiar with Ableton Live?

Because loading Kontakt as a plugin in Ableton works exactly like any other plugin. From the browser on the left, you select plugins and then scroll to Kontakt. Then you double click or drag it and it will open a midi track containing it. And you can play and record it with Ableton.

I suspect your question is more about how to use Ableton than NI products

• Brettannese
    Brettannese Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Thanks for the reply!

I did think of that, since no plug-ins even appear on my Ableton software.

While researching this, a video explained that I'm supposed to set up Native Access with the proper file paths for VSTs, but I don't see the same folders that the person in the video has.

I've shared a photo for reference.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,311 Expert
    Answer ✓
    Options

You don’t have to have the same folders. You chose where you want to install them and then in Ableton preferences you add the same directory for plugins

• Kaiwan_NI
    Kaiwan_NI Administrator Posts: 2,624 admin
    Answer ✓
    Options

Check this article out just in case @Brettannese

Plug-In Administration in Ableton Live

• o.berg4
    o.berg4 Member Posts: 9 Member
    edited February 24
    Options

I had a similar issue and found that the key steps involve making sure Ableton recognizes the VST plugin directory where Kontakt is installed. Also, checking Ableton's Preferences to ensure that both VST2 and VST3 plugins are enabled helped me a lot. Once Kontakt is recognized in Ableton's plugin list, you should be able to load it as an instrument on a new track. For specific customer service contacts at Native Instruments, their official website should have all the info you need. If you're looking for more detailed guidance or step-by-step instructions, https://faqaudio.com/t/ableton-live-12/27 has some great tutorials and articles that might help you get everything set up and ready to go.