HowTo get started with Komplete Kontrol and S88?

Options
RogiWanKenobi
RogiWanKenobi Member Posts: 17 Member

Hello Community

So, after struggling with the 'correct' way of cabling, I try to get started with Kontrol and S88 MIDI Keyboard.

May be someone could guide me into the right direction on this issue?

Eg.:

1) I do not see any other thing than 'No Instrument loaded' on the left, and 'Empty' (Use the browser to load an Instrument) on the right display. So, how to use the 'browser'? What is the 'browser'? Are there any guiding videos on this? I searched for them in the NI YT channel with no luck already.

(Do I have to see already anything installed at this stage on the displays? May a restart go my Mac help?)

Is my S88 defective in anyway?

I am on FW 0.6.0 (as delivered to me); Updater is on 0.5.9.

2) I am on MacOS 10.15.7. with all the basic programs installed

3) .. and S88 powered on and USB cable plugged in.

Thanks to all for further guiding hints.

Regards,

Roger

Best Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,297 Expert
    Answer ✓
    Options

Not defective at all…it is just telling you what is its state atm (when no instrument is loaded)

You can load one in 2 ways: from Komplete Kontrol software on the computer on the left you have all the instruments you have installed (if you already installed them through Native Access) and you can pick one or pushing on the s88 the browse button and selecting the instrument you want from the s88 screens.

Once that the instrument gets loaded, the screens will change, showing the possibilities you have for the instrument (they will be different depending on what you loaded. Things like increasing/decreasing the amount of an fx, applying a filter,…).

Since I see you quite lost on how all these things work, I suggest you to watch this video:

It is a quite long one and I could suggest something more direct and giving fast directions on how to do things without explaining too much. But if you are new to all this music making world, probably understanding how things work will benefit you in future

• LostInFoundation
    Answer ✓
    Options

If I read you correctly from the questions I answered to you in these days, you are really starting fresh new from 0.

Having an idea on how things work would surely help you to understand this world a little better.

You could surely have someone telling you “push this button and then that one” to make you start, but if you miss the basics you will struggle in the future with every single step you’ll have to take.

To make an example: have you ever played a videogame? Your questions about the keyboard saying “no instrument loaded” and “what is a browser” are a little bit like someone buying a Joypad and saying that after having plugged the cable in, moving the sticks doesn’t do anything…without him having first launched a game.

Wouldn’t you suggest him to learn that the joystick is just a controller and doesn’t contain any game and that he has to launch a game before anything happens?

This is almost the same: if you don’t learn from where the sounds come from, where to find them (the infamous browser), how to load them, what is a controller…and so on and so forth, you’ll surely struggle every time a new task is presented to you.

Therefore…yes, my suggestion is to take your time and watch some videos, at least the minimum ones to understand the basis of making music with a computer and its programs.

Not saying that you must make a 4 years bachelor before even touching anything, but doing thing step by step understanding what you are doing will put you on the right road. As an example, watching the video I linked for you, after the first 5-10 min you will surely already have seen how the instrument must be loaded. And you can start playing and having fun. And as soon as you will ask yourself “Ok. Now how do I record it?” another 10-20 minutes will show you the way

• LostInFoundation
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Again, to make things clearer for you: the S88 is just the controller, nothing will be installed on it.

BUT…to avoid you feeling too frustrated: once you have installed all your instruments with Native Access on the computer, just opening Komplete Kontrol software will make what you wish happen. At this point, just pressing the Browser button on the s88 will make all the instruments choice appear on its screens 😉

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    Answer ✓
    Options

Not defective at all…it is just telling you what is its state atm (when no instrument is loaded)

You can load one in 2 ways: from Komplete Kontrol software on the computer on the left you have all the instruments you have installed (if you already installed them through Native Access) and you can pick one or pushing on the s88 the browse button and selecting the instrument you want from the s88 screens.

Once that the instrument gets loaded, the screens will change, showing the possibilities you have for the instrument (they will be different depending on what you loaded. Things like increasing/decreasing the amount of an fx, applying a filter,…).

Since I see you quite lost on how all these things work, I suggest you to watch this video:

It is a quite long one and I could suggest something more direct and giving fast directions on how to do things without explaining too much. But if you are new to all this music making world, probably understanding how things work will benefit you in future

• RogiWanKenobi
    Options

@LostInFoundation

Hey, nice to see you again.

Well, yes, I found this already be accident, but, I was of the opinion that there is an introduction using the s88 to anything else than the ni sw packages, like Cubase, ... , so, all tools I do not use actually.

I just want to get started with all the ni sw packages, since I will be lost much more in this emusic jungle.

So, do you suggest that one to get started with ni sw and its s88?

Regards,

Roger

• LostInFoundation
    Answer ✓
    Options

If I read you correctly from the questions I answered to you in these days, you are really starting fresh new from 0.

Having an idea on how things work would surely help you to understand this world a little better.

You could surely have someone telling you “push this button and then that one” to make you start, but if you miss the basics you will struggle in the future with every single step you’ll have to take.

To make an example: have you ever played a videogame? Your questions about the keyboard saying “no instrument loaded” and “what is a browser” are a little bit like someone buying a Joypad and saying that after having plugged the cable in, moving the sticks doesn’t do anything…without him having first launched a game.

Wouldn’t you suggest him to learn that the joystick is just a controller and doesn’t contain any game and that he has to launch a game before anything happens?

This is almost the same: if you don’t learn from where the sounds come from, where to find them (the infamous browser), how to load them, what is a controller…and so on and so forth, you’ll surely struggle every time a new task is presented to you.

Therefore…yes, my suggestion is to take your time and watch some videos, at least the minimum ones to understand the basis of making music with a computer and its programs.

Not saying that you must make a 4 years bachelor before even touching anything, but doing thing step by step understanding what you are doing will put you on the right road. As an example, watching the video I linked for you, after the first 5-10 min you will surely already have seen how the instrument must be loaded. And you can start playing and having fun. And as soon as you will ask yourself “Ok. Now how do I record it?” another 10-20 minutes will show you the way

• RogiWanKenobi
    Options

@LostInFoundation

Yeah, u convinced me on taking the lower steps' pace pathway.

I was just that frustrated, since I was convinced the programs (had to) show up in the s88's display automatically. This was the impression I got from the introducing videos to the s88, but not the reality.

To me those videos gave me the impression that there are some 'programs'/instruments/plugins had been already installed from factory on the device.

Since I am also a real noop and newbee on this topic, I also did not imagine the 'complexity' in how all these steps, unboxing, cabling, creating account on all those different music/plugin portals, registering the device, downloading, installing SW and just then getting the device to run, seems to be, requesting some (more) patience.

So, again, thanks to you.

Regards,

Roger

• LostInFoundation
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Again, to make things clearer for you: the S88 is just the controller, nothing will be installed on it.

BUT…to avoid you feeling too frustrated: once you have installed all your instruments with Native Access on the computer, just opening Komplete Kontrol software will make what you wish happen. At this point, just pressing the Browser button on the s88 will make all the instruments choice appear on its screens 😉