Suggestions for workflow usign the M+ and S88

Options
Swisher Sweet
Swisher Sweet Member Posts: 23 Member
edited August 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

Hi,

I'm considering picking up the S88 and I understand that it can be used to control Komplete on a Mac/PC and integrate with the Maschine+.

I'm struggling to envision my new workflow wiht the S88. I don't want to work on a computer to make music, which is why I bought the M+ to begin with. I'm considering the S88 for its nice key bed and tight M+ integration. With this, I could more easily flow from playing / recording and editing on the M+ remotely from the S88.

However, the M+ is limited in sounds and while I had originally envisioned the M+ as a sequencer mostly controlling my various MIDI instruments and recording to a Tascam multi-track, I was hoping to take advantage of Komplete Select that also came with the S88 and maybe even upgrade later for more instruments. But, I don't know how can I take advantage of Komplete without completely changing my workflow from standalone with M+ to working on a Mac.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could stay standalone but also take advantage of the sweet sounds that come with Komplete?

Thank you.

Best Answer

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,307 Expert
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

As you say, all the instruments that work on the computer won’t work on the M+

‘Probably the only way would be plugging the s88 to the computer and output the computer audio to M+ inputs. At this point you could also close the computer screen and hide it somewhere, but be aware that what you will record on the M+ will be audio tracks (with which Maschine isn’t the most capable device/software) and not post modifiable midi patterns.

Another possibility would be to sample the instruments you’ll get with complete into Maschine+ with its Autosampler. At this point you will have those instruments available to use inside M+ and you could plug the s88 directly into it, cutting the computer out of the equation

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

As you say, all the instruments that work on the computer won’t work on the M+

‘Probably the only way would be plugging the s88 to the computer and output the computer audio to M+ inputs. At this point you could also close the computer screen and hide it somewhere, but be aware that what you will record on the M+ will be audio tracks (with which Maschine isn’t the most capable device/software) and not post modifiable midi patterns.

Another possibility would be to sample the instruments you’ll get with complete into Maschine+ with its Autosampler. At this point you will have those instruments available to use inside M+ and you could plug the s88 directly into it, cutting the computer out of the equation

• Swisher Sweet
    edited August 2023
    Options

Thanks again for your help.

Perhaps another way is to find a VST host (like Apple Main Stage) that could run a Komplete instrument and respond to MIDI, then I could just treat the Mac (running the VST host) as another MIDI instrument to control.

I own Mainstage but don't have experience with it. I assume it can be control via MIDI.

Note, I found a video on YT that shows Kontakt running in Mainstage, but I'm too new to post the link, but it ends with: watch?v=V4hViLPljEo

• Swisher Sweet
    Options

Actually, I just downloaded Komplete Start. I verified it works in Mainstage and it has the free Kontakt player that also responds to MIDI. So, I can turn the Mac into a MIDI instrument this way. :)

• LostInFoundation
    Options

You can also open Komplete standalone and control it with M+ midi. You need a DAW only if you want to have access to multiple instruments at once ( and even in this case, Kontakt allows to open multiple instruments and set a different midi channel to them to receive from