MX: Noise Section as Modulators - Is it possible?

Options
Murat Kayi
Murat Kayi Member Posts: 430 Pro

Hi,

in modular environments, it is pretty easy (and very rewarding) to use any kinds of noise sources not as audio material to mix into the audio signal, but as modulation sources for any kinds of control voltage. Especially when used in conjunction with filter cutoffs or wavetable sweeps I really like to do this.

I always thought you could use the noise modules in Massive X to route to various parameters within the synth which would be awesome considering the wide variety of noise sources available as well as the option to add your own.

But checking the routing page, it looks as if noise can only be routed as an audio signal rather than using its output as a modulator, is that correct? Or is there a way to make it happen in Massive X?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,111 mod
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

That you can do with the random LFO as far as i understand, it´s not the same but similar to noise. Set it to OSC, rate to 100 percent

Answers

• Uwe303
    Options

Hello,

under the routing tab you can route the noise block 1 and\or 2 to filter FM, to PM of the WT oscillators.

• Murat Kayi
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hi, thanks for the answer.

FM IS cool as a mod target, but just to make sure, I can't get it to sweep the wavetable, right (like the LFOs can)

Sorry, misread, it's the filter FM, right. Sounds great, too.

• Uwe303
    edited August 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

That you can do with the random LFO as far as i understand, it´s not the same but similar to noise. Set it to OSC, rate to 100 percent

• Murat Kayi
    Options

Thanks awesome! Will try!

• Uwe303
    Options

Ohh and additionally there is a random WT engine - a really great synth

• Murat Kayi
    edited August 2023
    Options

Is that the wavetable "noise seed"? Or do you mean something else?

Yes, MX is awesome. I love this synth so much, I get lost hitting keys and tweaking the macro buttons every time I open it

• Uwe303
    edited August 2023
    Options

no i mean the engine like standard; bend; mirror and so on

• Murat Kayi
    Options

Oooooh, I never noticed! You know, everyone and their mother always freaked out about Gorilla mode, so the very next menu item got kind of overlooked. Looking forward to checking this out!

Have you ever used the "noise seed" wavetable under the FX section?

• Uwe303
    Options

No never tried it but now I will for sure, what I also love is to modulate one LFO with another, that way you can have a different (also synced) frequency every time you press a key for example - there is so much great stuff you can do with that synth, I'm always so blown away from the results you can get