Assigning two Komplete Kontrol controllers in Cubase

Options
Christiaan Tinga
Christiaan Tinga Member Posts: 23 Member

Hello,

When I make instrument tracks in Cubase and assign my S61 for it, I need to select the controller manually within Komplete. I have an A49 too and it is by default assigned to that one. Don't know why.

The problem is: When I go to another track, the assignment of the S61 is gone and switched back to the A49. Very annoying. I need to reselect it again. Is this a common issue? Or a Cubase bug?

Best Answer

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,620 Expert
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Well of course you can have multiple MIDI keyboards connected, what you CANT have is multiple KK keyboards connected expecting to either use them both at the same time with KK instances or even select which one you will use as the actual smart controller. KK only supports 1 keyboard and will select whichever is alphabetically the first in the list of found keyboards!

Answers

• Christiaan Tinga
    Options

I'm not yet allowed to post links? hmm. I would like to show it in a video capture.

It's

streamable dot com /e/m97j5e

• JesterMgee
    Options

Can’t have multiple keyboards connected, does not work. The keyboard selected will be alphabetical so always the “A” series before S series.

• Christiaan Tinga
    Options

Ofcourse you can! And it works fine. I can select both instrument tracks and play on the both controllers simultaneously

Only thing is that the assignment to them keep on switching back when you cycle through the tracks.

• MyStudioOne
    MyStudioOne Member Posts: 254 Pro
    Options

As far as I have seen from personal experience, it is only the M32 that does not work well with other NI keyboards. I use use S88 and S88MK2 in tandem all the time.

As far as your question is concerned, perhaps Cubase external instrument settings allows you to choose S61 as "default keyboard" and this will perhaps negate that behavior?

• Christiaan Tinga
    Options

It's called "Enable Auto Select" in Cubase 12 and that doesn't help, unfortunately.

• JesterMgee
    edited July 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Well of course you can have multiple MIDI keyboards connected, what you CANT have is multiple KK keyboards connected expecting to either use them both at the same time with KK instances or even select which one you will use as the actual smart controller. KK only supports 1 keyboard and will select whichever is alphabetically the first in the list of found keyboards!

• Christiaan Tinga
    Options

Ah right! I now understand the situation. Thank you for clarifying that.

So, if I would like to use them both, I need to load up another VST for it (not Komplete). Would that work?

• Christiaan Tinga
    Options

Having said that: then Komplete will ofcourse still select A49 alphabetically, so I should rename the controllers in order to make S61 my smart controller. I can do that in Cubase's port setup, but will Komplete see that?