Can the S88 MK2 be bus-powered over USB-C?

Options
Jim Offerman
Jim Offerman Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Hey!

Is it possible to run the S88 MK2 on bus-power when connected through a USB-C to USB-B cable? If so, is there a specific brand of cable I should buy?

My MacBook Pro does not have any USB-A ports, so I cannot use the cable that came with the S88. I have two USB-C to USB-A cables, but neither will allow the S88 to power on when connected through USB alone. As far as I know, USB-C (3.0) is able to deliver more power than USB-A (2.0), so it shouldn't be an issue? Any ideas why it might not work?

Thanks!

Jim.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,603 Expert
    Answer ✓
    Options

S88 is not USB powered, Only A/M series and S Series MKII S49 and S62 are USB powered. You need the included P/S connected for it to work which is why it is supplied with one.

Answers

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,603 Expert
    Answer ✓
    Options

S88 is not USB powered, Only A/M series and S Series MKII S49 and S62 are USB powered. You need the included P/S connected for it to work which is why it is supplied with one.

• Noah3454
    Noah3454 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    edited July 2023
    Options

No, the S88 MK2 by Native Instruments cannot be bus-powered over USB-C. The S88 MK2 requires an external power source to operate, and it does not draw power solely from the USB-C connection. Therefore, it is necessary to connect the S88 MK2 to a power outlet using the included power adapter in order to use the device.

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,844 mod
    edited July 2023
    Options

I concur with previous posters (That you need an external power supply for the  S88 MK2 )

But I would also like to add that I think that you are either confused about things (which is really easy to become these days) or are mixing up things !  I myself became somewhat confused when checking up on your idea.  

But ! , don't confuse USB port power with the USB-C Pover Delivery standard. please check these pages :

What are the Maximum Power Output and Data Transfer Rates for the USB Standards? 

https://resources.pcb.cadence.com/blog/2020-what-are-the-maximum-power-output-and-data-transfer-rates-for-the-usb-standards

USB-C Power Delivery :

https://manhattanproducts.eu/pages/usb-c-pd-charging-everything-you-need-to-know

So if you take a look at the "USB-C Power Delivery" standard 2.0/3.0 , profile 3 (15 volts) would support your idea to some extend at least. So , I would say that while it looks as if out of the question to draw the needed power from a normal USB C (3.0) port then I find it feasible , if not already on market , to make some sort of device that would allow you to make an adapter that would out put the need voltage and amps if connected to an USB-C Power Delivery port capable of delivering the power needed..

Ref. :

USB-C Power Delivery 2.0/3.0 :  PROFILE 3 : 15 V , 1.8 - 3.0 [A] , 27 - 45 W , tablets, and small laptops

• Jim Offerman
    Jim Offerman Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

Okay... so it is not bus-powered, that explains a lot! Maybe they should update / correct the manual? Put a little asterisk in this section to explain that the S88 also requires the external power source:

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 2,844 mod
    Options

Yes , that is the problem when designing manuals that can be used for more products that are more or less alike , to remember to spell out the differences and to make them all clear at all the appropriate places . N.I. ought to have a suggestion thread for improving the manuals for their products that is staff monitired !

• Noah3454
    Noah3454 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Options

No, the S88 MK2 by Native Instruments cannot be bus-powered over USB-C. The S88 MK2 requires an external power source to operate, and it does not draw power solely from the USB-C connection. Therefore, it is necessary to connect the S88 MK2 to a power outlet using the included power adapter in order to use the device.