S88 MK2 makes a strange modulation distorted sound in Logic/Garageband

Options
MarkuZ
MarkuZ Member Posts: 9 Newcomer
edited July 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

Hi!

All my Logic and Garageband Pianos and other stock instruments are sounding weird. The have a slightly modulation on it. I f I choose a plugin from Native instead, it sounds nice .

Here is a link to a short Video with the Soundissue

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zH37nHzowE3Xz9vpWVcRHoq8tELL8J7z/view?usp=sharing

What could that be?

It does'nt matter which Audio device I choose. Even internal Mac Sound has that issue.

I use an UAD Arrow Interface.

I already tried a core audio reset with "sudo killall coreaudiod"

and I get a hint from the logic forum which says that I should delete the audio Midi Config of the S88 and delete -/Library /Preferences/ com.apple.logic.pro.cs but this also didn't solve the issue.

I noticed also bouncing faders in Logic on that instrument channels and then I deleted also the whole prefs and drivers from my old Euphonics FaderController in case it is responsible for the trouble..

Any ideas?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,797 mod
    Options

Can you reproduce the issue with your keyboard disconnected ans using the onscreen keyboard in Logic? (go to Window -> Show Musical Typing)

Open Komplete Kontrol in standalone, try and untick the MIDI outputs in the preferences.

• MarkuZ
    Options

NO! I testet it also with a brand new macbook pro with m2 processor. The Issue is the same and occured directly after installing the komplete control. Before no issue! With native library no problem! Only with Logic /garageband Instruments. I think it has to do with the Controler Setup.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

Does it also happen if you use the onboard soundcard of your mac?

Can you open Komplete Kontrol in standalone and post a screenshot of your MIDI preferences, input & output?

Can you also post a screenshot of your Logic preferences? Settings -> MIDI -> Inputs

• MarkuZ
    Options

Hi Jeremy, sure!

This is with native mk88 NOT connected (power off).

• MarkuZ
    Options

Yes, even with the internal sound. But I can hear it clearer with better speakers :-). It's like an weird modulation I would say. The ribbon band of my MK88 has an impact to this soundissue when I use it.

• MarkuZ
    Options

AND THIS IS WITH MK2 88 connected:

The Issue even occured if ONLY one device Komplete Kontrol S88 is checked!

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@MarkuZ Sorry, I only noticed this sentence here:

The ribbon band of my MK88 has an impact to this soundissue when I use it.

Can you check the MIDI assignment in Komplete Kontrol in standalone?

Is it CC11?

Can you check with MIDI monitor, with no DAW open, even without the Komplete Kontrol app open, is there MIDI data, even if you don't touch the keyboard? I'm wondering if it could be the touchstrip is defective and is sending continuous MIDI information that controls certain parameters of the Garageband instruments.

• MarkuZ
    Options

This is midi assignment in KK App. Looks equal to yours!

Yes, there is activity when I only run MidiView (Monitor) and didn't touch anything..

• MarkuZ
    Options

I compared that to my Native M32 Keyboard an there is no activity when I press nothing. Even on the Rubberband.

• MarkuZ
    Options

I think the S88 MK2 is defective. Is there a possibility to exchange it?

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer βœ“
    Options

@MarkuZ Yes, it definitely looks like the touchstrip is defective, you can get in touch with our Hardware department here: https://bit.ly/NISupport_Hardware

• chedercon
    chedercon Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    Options

I am having exactly the same issue though my midi is performing as normal. Sound output goes through my PA and sounds slightly modulated as if the bass is going in and out slightly, it sounds like a signal effect, it wouldn't be noticeable at a gig but is when in a quite room. NOt sure what to do.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@chedercon You mean it's also happening in Logic or GarageBand? Have you checked MIDI assignments in the Komplete Kontrol standalone application, as shown earlier in this post?

Have you checked with MIDI monitor if there's some MIDI CC emitting when it shouldn't? How to Monitor the Input of a MIDI Controller

In the case of OP, the issue was coming from a defective touchstrip that was constantly sending CC11 (aka expression).

So if it's exactly the same for you, you should try out the steps outlined here and in the thread, if the results are the same, then you need to get in touch with our hardware department.

• MarkuZ
    Options

FYI

I've bought a new S88 MK3 now and my Issue is gone :-). It must be something with the mk2 hardware I guess.πŸ˜‰