Session Strings 2

Rosemary
Rosemary Member Posts: 10 Newcomer

I use Logic ProX. When I assign Session Strings to an existing midi track, nothing sounds. The notes are there, they show up in the Score and the Piano bar. I can play Session Strings sounds from my midi-keyboard. But when I create a Sessions String software track in Logic, move the existing midi-notes into it, they do not sound. I cannot work this out. Help please!

Best Answer

• Rosemary
    Answer ✓

Hi Jeremy. I finally figured it out myself. The link you sent put me on the right track, although what finally worked was putting the MIDI on Omni. Thank you for your help. Rosemary

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,282 Expert

Are you sure the midi notes are not in an octave where the instrument has no sounds?

• Rosemary

Thank you for answering. I did try a different octave and it made no difference. I am trying to replace the Logic Pro strings with the Session Strings 2, - they are the same octave. I was able to do this with a horns part, replacing the Logic Trumpet sound with the Orchestral Tools Fleugelhorn. I just can't figure out why Session Strings 2 won't do the same.🤔

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,282 Expert

Session strings is not exactly the typical instrument with notes spread all over the keyboard. Have a look at this video (I picked up one not too long) that maybe can help you understand it

• Rosemary

Thank you for this. I don't have the Pro version, and the ordinary Session Strings 2 does not have those controls. I now wonder whether I should upgrade to that. But in the meantime, Sessions Strings is still not playing the midi notes. I will scour Youtube to see whether I can find the answer to my problem there. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,670 mod

@Rosemary Check what MIDI channel is setup for the said MIDI tracks. Maybe this article will be helpful: Configuring your MIDI Keyboard / Controller in KONTAKT

• Rosemary

Thank you Jeremy. I don't think this is the problem, because there is no problem when I choose an instrument from another NI package to play existing software tracks in Logic Pro input with my midi keyboard. It only will not work when I try to use Session Strings 2. I can play and record notes from Session Strings 2 into Logic Pro X no problem. But when I copy the Logic strings, paste them into a new Software track, although the notes are there, and I have assigned a Session Strings 2 sound to the track, it will not sound them. I can easily input notes into the track from my midi keyboard using Sessions Strings 2, but Session Strings 2 will not sound the midi notes already there. I am mystified. I think there is a problem with the installation, although I've tried re-installing etc., and using an ethernet cable as they suggest. I still get periodic messages saying there is a problem installing. Also, in Preferences in Native Access, there is a red exclamation mark next to the 'Application Location' , and the box itself has a red border, but nothing seems to explain what the problem is. And I get no response to my support ticket.

• Rosemary
    Answer ✓

Hi Jeremy. I finally figured it out myself. The link you sent put me on the right track, although what finally worked was putting the MIDI on Omni. Thank you for your help. Rosemary