Komplete Kontrol A25: button labels are garbled on the OLED display

Options
hugo_nl
hugo_nl Member Posts: 10 Newcomer
edited May 2023 in Komplete Kontrol

I just received my Komplete Kontrol but I run into a very ugly problem.

If I change the configuration via Komplete Kontrol utility, the button label on button 2 of every page is garbled.

It either partially shows the label but the majority is either blank spaces or weird ASCII characters. Sometimes it's not even ASCII characters but it looks like a broken bitmap.

The first time I updated the button configuration it was visible on button 1 and 2, but today it only affects button 2. It doesn't matter how often I try to update the configuration, there is always something visibly wrong.

I have captured the SysEx communication that is sent to the device and that is in perfect order.

Is my unit broken?

Edited to add: For example, on the last two attempts, I configured the text to be "Btn2" and "Button2" respectively, but what appears is "W" or "WCC" (I guess the CC part is of another button label.)

Tagged:

Best Answer

• hugo_nl
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks for your response. Yes, I am on the latest firmware.

It happens on every another machine as well, Windows and Mac. Even if I grab the raw SysEx file and send it to the machine from Linux, the same corruption happens (although less).

On Mac it is the worst, everything gets garbled.

On Windows occasionally 2 buttons per page get grabled.

(On Linux, sending the raw SysEx, only the 2nd button on each page gets garbled.)

The Hardware Support page is not helpful, I get stuck on question 2. The device has no physical defects and it does connect to the software, it just doesn't show the button labels properly on the OLED, so I am confused as to where to go next.

It is quite curious that the problem is more visible on Mac than on Windows.

Edited to add: I will just return it to the store that I got it from and hopefully get one that works properly.

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,725 mod
    Options

@hugo_nl Have you tried to update the firmware? You'll find it here: https://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/downloads/drivers-other-files/

Also try these steps: My KOMPLETE KONTROL Keyboard Does Not Start

If none of that works, try on a different computer, if it's the same on that one, it's definitely a hardwrae issue and you should get in touch here: https://bit.ly/NISupport_Hardware

• hugo_nl
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Thanks for your response. Yes, I am on the latest firmware.

It happens on every another machine as well, Windows and Mac. Even if I grab the raw SysEx file and send it to the machine from Linux, the same corruption happens (although less).

On Mac it is the worst, everything gets garbled.

On Windows occasionally 2 buttons per page get grabled.

(On Linux, sending the raw SysEx, only the 2nd button on each page gets garbled.)

The Hardware Support page is not helpful, I get stuck on question 2. The device has no physical defects and it does connect to the software, it just doesn't show the button labels properly on the OLED, so I am confused as to where to go next.

It is quite curious that the problem is more visible on Mac than on Windows.

Edited to add: I will just return it to the store that I got it from and hopefully get one that works properly.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

For the Hardware typeform, your issue would have been considered as a physical defect!

• hugo_nl
    edited June 2023
    Options

So, I had sent it back to the store and received a new unit just now.

I did a quick test and this has the *exact same issue*.

So this is most likely a firmware problem (and also likely an issue with in-house Quality Assurance).

How do we escalate this?

(Never mind, I am returning this unit and will be purchasing an entirely different brand. It was fun while it lasted. Well it wasn't fun. And it didn't last :D )

• Jeremy_NI
    edited June 2023
    Options

@hugo_nl Sorry to hear that. I reached out to the responsible team to get more info. We only had a handful of cases where replacing the units with older firmware installed worked out. I suspect there are way more for some customers who bought them in different shops. Where did you buy yours?

• hugo_nl
    Options

I bought it at Bax Music (bax-shop.nl). I have already started an RMA procedure.

This time for a full refund and ordered new kit made by M-Audio (a brand that I never had issues with). Though I did really dig the aesthetic of the A25... but you can imagine that after receiving two duds ones trust in a brand is kinda ruined.

• Jeremy_NI
    Options

@hugo_nl Thanks for the additional info. I hear you, it's understandable.

• hugo_nl
    edited June 2023
    Options

Oh by the way, what I had not mentioned here.

It wasn't just the OLED that got garbled, there was also another very strange issue with the unit: after 30 to 45 minutes of using it, suddenly the MIDI keys function inverted: a MIDI Note Off event was sent when pressing down, and a MIDI Note On was sent when releasing the key.

The only thing that fixed that was disconnecting and reconnecting the USB lead. But that didn't prevent it from happening again after 30 to 45 minutes. It was as if it's haunted.

(I did not verify this behaviour on the 2nd unit that arrived because as soon as I saw the OLED was still garbled I frustratedly put it back in the box.)